How best to Alarm a shop remotely?

Old 02-01-22, 12:36 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How best to Alarm a shop remotely?

We have a large shop on the property that was broken into last summer and now, we'd like to know best how to alarm the shop that will notify me of an entry. The shop is only 1000 feet from the main building that we all occupy at all time's but the shop is rarely occupied. What would be the best way to alarm the shop if a door is opened that could notify us remotely to a station in the building or even by cell phone (if that's even possible). The ideal system would be one we could arm or disarm remotely but also monitor remotely?

Old 02-01-22, 04:05 AM
T
Received 111 Upvotes on 99 Posts
An easy fix is a Ring alarm that sends a text notification to a cell phone when triggered. The alarm can be armed and disarmed so it won't go off every time the door is opened. In many phone services a cheap phone or tablet can be added for $10/month. In addition, a Ring alarm can be sent to a server so notification could go to a computer instead of a phone or tablet, but someone would have to monitor it.

There are other options that would work at 1,000' but they use line of sight so things like trucks cold block it.

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-01-22 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-01-22, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,055 Upvotes on 3,638 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Do you have phone or internet service in that garage ?
If not you'll need an alarm that connects via the cellular network.

Old 02-01-22, 02:16 PM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
I have a blink camera that covers my garage doors. The camera is about 50' from the sync module. Supposedly the range is 100' and it can be extended. I like the system - I watched a guy mow my lawn while in vacation in HI.

I think I would go low tech though. Something to turn the lights on and maybe a cheap siren/bell alarm when a door opens.

Or you could go the scare the crap out of them route like a loaded 12GA with a trigger wire. Just remove the shot from the shell all that is needed is the flash and the bang.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: