Vista-128 disable sounder/siren for a partition

Old 02-18-22, 03:47 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vista-128 disable sounder/siren for a partition

So I've got a Vista-128bpt system with three partitions. 1 is my main house, 2 is my shop and 3 is my little guest house. My goal is to make partitions 2&3 relatively independent with their own keypads and sirens, but still be able to monitor/set them from the main house keypads.

No problem, eh? I put a 4208U in the guest house and shop sensors and a 4204 relay module for their separate sounder/sirens. The separate sounder/siren thing baffled me for a bit, but I found the output functions and now have relays on the 4204 coming on for the alarms on partition 2 & 3. But I cannot figure out how to make the main siren (the one wired into the main panel) NOT come on for partitions 2 & 3.

In other words, when partition 1 alarms, the siren on the main panel sounds, and the ones on the remote 4204 do not. Perfect. When partition 2 or 3 alarm, the remote sirens on the 4204 come one, but the MAIN one ALSO comes on, and I really don't want that to (that's the siren just for partition 1).

Old 02-18-22, 05:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
There's really no way to normally isolate the primary siren output. The _only_ trick I can think of would be to put in another normally closed relay in the main siren output and program it to change states and open to disable the siren, if partition 2 or 3 alarms; but I'm still not sure that's really a wise choice. Otherwise, you might have to just handle siren for partition 1 with another programmable output.

Old 02-18-22, 07:20 PM
R
So just so Iím clear. The best way to do this would be to get another 4204 module and wire partition 1 siren to one of those relays, and then donít attach anything to the primary panelís alarm output. Right?

Old 02-18-22, 08:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 314 Upvotes on 289 Posts
For the configuration you are describing, that's the only way I can think of to isolate the alarm activation sounder for partition 1 from the other two. For these panels, the partitioning scheme was designed around the notion of a common alarm control (visualize several office suites with a common lobby, but independent entry doors, interior detectors, and perimeters), so a single alarm output fits that, and that was the core design configuration.

Honestly, for a residential install with multiple buildings, it's almost easier to install a main control and a smaller standalone in each location, monitored by relays triggering specific zones on the main system. A little more work/expense, but easier to live with/use (in my opinion)..

Old 02-18-22, 08:22 PM
R
I considered separate systems but I wanted to be able to arm everything from one location. I didnít want to leave the house and have to walk to the shop and guest house to make sure the alarms there were set.

honestly, this might work out better. I can put the outdoor siren on the common output and the indoor main house siren on the 4204.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: