DSC 1844 system won't arm

Old 04-26-22, 04:25 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question DSC 1844 system won't arm

Hi all,

I have a DSC 1864 control panel paired with a 5500 keypad.

Per the attached photos (number 2 & 3), the system won't allow me to arm and there are no trouble warnings - so there is nothing obvious to me that I should be prevented from arming the system.

Background
I changed the control panel backup battery today - it had been warning me that it was low for a few weeks.
Naturally, I triggered the panel tamper alarm when opening the control box.

I've seen threads that suggested the tamper button might be causing the issue, however I would expect the orange triangle warning light to stay on.

Admittedly I did have a panel tamper warning a couple of days ago when I opened the panel to take a photo of the battery (so that I would know what to replace it with), however this didn't prevent me from arming the system afterwards. Now, 'panel tamper' is simply a record in the alarm memory (see photo 3), it's not a system warning of any kind.

Now I'm at a complete loss as to what's causing the issue.

I read elsewhere (on this forum) that powering down the system, by unplugging the transformer and battery, is something to consider when replacing a low battery (similar to rebooting your PC I suppose), however I don't know if this would affect the programming or if its the right course of action in this case. And I don't know how to program the alarm in the event I accidentally wiped everything, nor do I want to!

Hopefully someone is able to assist. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Will

Panel tamper alarm memory

This is what it shows (when it's not showing me the time and date)

If I attempt to arm.

Old 04-26-22, 10:44 AM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
Have you done a reset? Are other points faulted?

EDIT: What I am talking about is the * button then the Rest button. Sorry I did not elaborate earlier.

Last edited by ThisOldMan; 04-26-22 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-26-22, 11:51 AM
R
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
“Secure system before arming” usually means an open sensor somewhere.

Depowering should not erase programming.

Try that first.

If symptom persists you can rule out the tamper switch by removing the leads from the switch at the panel and shorting the two terminals with a piece of wire. If the tamper message disappears, the switch or its connections are bad. You can leave the shorted wires in if you don’t care for the switch.

Does it show a message like “Scroll to view open zones”?
If so, use the arrow buttons to scroll and find the open zone(s). Correct the issue(s)

If you have hardwired glass breaks or smokes they may be latched on, therefore reading open.
Hardwired smokes may reset when you use *72 if they are wired to a PGM output.
some glassbreaks can be reset at the sensor.
Other causes include an loose wire at one of the hardwired zones, or a bad connection.

Check to see if you have resistors at each hardwire zone at the panel. If you don’t, they should be at the sensors themselves. A loose resistor will also keep you from arming.

Old 04-26-22, 03:25 PM
W
I took a look at the tamper switch wiring situation (the alarm went off when I opened the box), and when I checked where the two wires connected to the panel, one of the wires came loose from the panel.

The end of that wire is just soldered, whereas the other wire has what looks like a resistor on the end of it.

The resistor end is connected to Z8.

However I don't know where the other wire needs to go. It fell out before I could see where it was connected.

The only vacant spots seem to be Z4 and PGM4. The screw that holds wires in place in the socket appears to be closed in PGM4, whereas the Z4 socket appears to be open. Makes me think it was connected to PGM4.

Thoughts?

Once I reconnect the wire I'll see if that resolves the issue. If not, I'll go through the steps you guys recommended in your previous replies.

Thanks,
Will

Old 04-26-22, 10:21 PM
W
Hi all,
I've resolved the problem.
I connected the loose wire into the occupied COM socket to the left of Z8. The other two - z4 and PGM4 - didn't work.

Once that fixed the tamper button issue, I then powered down the system and rebooted it. IT still would't arm, but that's because the panel door was open. What this means, though, is I can't determine whether the reboot helped or not, or whether it was solely the tamper wire. Is suspect it was the tamer wire. Perhaps the connection wasn't secure enough and the system couldn't quite tell if there was a fault or not.

Either way, all fixed and I thank those who contributed.

Regards,
Will

Old 04-27-22, 04:41 AM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
Thanks for posting your resolution wkyriakou!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: