Alarm Not Connecting

Old 07-02-22, 04:14 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Alarm Not Connecting

I have a Honeywell alarm. It used to be on a landline. But because we have no other use for the landline, we switched to cellular a few years ago.

About two months ago, the alarm company switched the cellular module from 3g to 5g because they shut down the 3g network. The first module he installed worked fine. Then he called and asked if he could swap it out with a different module. He said he had customers who had alarms that would only work with my module. But he had a different module that would also work with my alarm. So I said ok.

Since then, I've noticed it's not connecting to the network. I get the error code you can see below. And you can see a fault on the cellular module.

I told the alarm company and their first response was that it's a weak signal coming from the tower. Give it a few days to see if it clears up. When they checked back, it was connected. But then the next day and ever since, it has not been connected. And I can't arm it remotely. So I assume it's basically unmonitored.

I relayed this to the alarm company and he said it's because AT&T has a weak signal. He said the only thing he could do is switch it to Verizon, but that would be even worse.

What are my options here? I don't want to go back to a landline. Too expensive. And I've now paid hundreds of dollars for two different wireless modules. The 3g one a few years ago and now a 5g module.

Old 07-03-22, 06:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
They need to replace their radio with the product you paid for that will actually work. Period.

Old 07-03-22, 09:51 AM
S
Received 16 Upvotes on 16 Posts
^^^^^ What he said!

Old 07-03-22, 03:13 PM
R
Well, yes. But I'm looking for alternatives if he's no able to solve it. He's going to install a Verizon transmitter on Tuesday. He says that's his only option. If that doesn't work, I'm wondering if there's a wifi option. Or if there's a self monitoring solution.

As far as AT&T's signal is concerned, my cell phone is on boost. They switched from Sprint to AT&T towers a couple months ago. I always have 4/5 bars. So I'm not convinced it's the signal strength.

Old 07-03-22, 08:22 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There are external antenna options for the communicator. Might be an option. There are also versions that use an ethernet connection. I'm with the others, not sure why they pulled out the module that was working fine, but they should be getting that to work like you expect it.

Old 07-05-22, 08:16 AM
R
Ok, thanks. I'll keep on him to get it working.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: