Any security issues buying a used camera?

Old 07-20-22, 07:33 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Any security issues buying a used camera?

Hello, I have a home scurity system and I would like to add a ADC-V722W camera that I bought as used from eBay. My concern is that since the camera was bought used, is it possible to have tampered firmware that can hijack my alarm system after I add it ?

Old 07-20-22, 08:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Tampering or changing the firmware is possible. It is highly unlikely but it is possible.

Old 07-20-22, 08:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That's a wifi camera. It doesn't connect to your alarm system. It connects to your wifi router.
Very doubtful someone would have the ambition to hack a camera like that before selling it.

Old 07-20-22, 03:57 PM
R
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
That’s an Alarm.com camera, which will only be viewable if you have an Alarm.com account.

Firmware updates occur over the air, either automatically or when the Alarm.com pushes the firmware out to the camera.

You should factory reset the camera in any event.

Alarm.com does have modules and DVR’s that make the camera viewable and do not require an alarm system package.

Old 07-21-22, 06:13 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Brinks Home Help Center | ADC-V721/V722 Outdoor Camera Guide
Factory Default
Warning: erases everything, the camera must be re-added to your account.
To reset the camera to factory default, hold the back button for 15 seconds until the LED flashes red and green
https://brinkshome.com/help-center/a...s/360033653831
A factory reset SHOULD be sufficient to clear any prior-owner account connections.
Now, there SHOULD be a way to check which version of firmware is installed, and you MIGHT be able to re-download and reinstall the factory firmware, but that will likely take a bit of internet searching and perhaps an email to their tech support.

Old 07-21-22, 12:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
it doesn't connect to your alarm system. It connects to your wifi router.
I understand that, but the procedure of adding the camera to the system is to use the system's control pannel to add a new device...so, yes, after it is added to the system, the camera links to the router directly for the streaming to amarm.com, but it deffinitely communicates with the main panel during the installation and that is my concern ... a malitious firmware doing extra stuff during the installation.

I know I might sound paranoid.

Thank you all for the replies

Old 07-22-22, 02:45 AM
R
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Factory reset and firmware update would be the way to go.

Since we don’t know what type of panel you have, can’t verify if there is communication or not between camera and panel. Panels like a Concprd or DSC are “unaware” of a camera. Touchscreen type panels can receive streaming on their screens, so you could say there is communication.

Couldn’t say definitely whether or not that poses a security risk, but I’m inclined towards not.

You could add the camera to your account on a network that is not your home network after factory resetting, update the firmware and then bring it into your home network.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: