DMP keypad says WRONG PANEL TYPE

Old 08-10-22, 06:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DMP keypad says WRONG PANEL TYPE

I have a DMP XT-50 alarm panel with two key pads. One evening both keypads gave a trouble noise and displayed "WRONG PANEL TYPE." Everything had been working fine for several years before this. I can not find anything on the internet to give me even a clue what is going on. Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-10-22, 06:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
If they have worked normally until recently, It could be one of the keypads is starting to fail and creating garbled data on the keypad loop; or even (unlikely) the alarm control board starting to fail. Since it's intermittent, it's not easy to nail down.

Old 08-10-22, 06:59 PM
J
It is not intermittent, it is showing wrong panel type all of the time now. I disconnected each keypad in turn and the remaining keypad shows wrong panel type. I therefore assume that something is wrong with the panel, but everything still works. I hate to have to replace the panel if it is just a simple bad component on the circuit board,

Old 08-11-22, 02:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Hmm...DMP isn't super common around my area. They do have most of their reference materials available: https://www.dmp.com/products

Here's the installer manual: https://www.dmp.com/resources/progra...allation-guide

What model keypads do you have?

Old 08-11-22, 06:38 AM
J
Two keypads, one is a 7060, the other is a wireless version of the 7060 whose model number I can not recall. I can remove either one and the other still shows the trouble. They all worked fine from a few years until suddenly they both display "WRONG PANEL TYPE". I have looked at all DMP information that I can find on the internet and can not find any reference to such a problem.

Old 08-11-22, 04:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The wireless one is probably a 9060. The fact that both wired and wireless are showing the same problem, tells me that it's likely some obscure setting in the DMP alarm control.

Without access to DMP tech support, this may be one of those things where you have to have a DMP dealer plug into the thing to resolve it.

Old 08-11-22, 05:12 PM
J
What I do not understand is that it worked just fine for many months and then all of a sudden just gave out with the trouble noise and displayed "wrong panel type". I did nothing to change anything. I just do not understand this. I guess my next step is to reset everything back to factory defaults and attempt to start over. Yes, the wireless keypad is a 9060. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. I am fresh out of ideas!

Old 08-11-22, 05:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's not _common_ but I have seen systems have spontaneous configuration glitches pop up after things like extended power outages with an aging battery (partial power loss is actually more trouble prone than a straight up power loss).

Silicon is not eternal, nor is it unchanging. These are complex devices, and the 2nd law of thermodynamics will always eventually win.

Old 08-11-22, 07:58 PM
C
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
This is just a Hail Mary idea, but have you tried power-cycling the system?
I.e. unplug the transformer and take one wire off the panel battery, give it a minute, then power back up. Sometimes that resets a glitch back to normal.

Old 08-12-22, 05:42 AM
J
Yes, I did try the power cycling. I even left the AC power and battery off for about an hour and when I connected everything back up - WRONG PANEL TYPE. I don't get it, the panel will communicate with the wireless key pad, I can arm and disarm, fail sensors, bypass sensors and it still reads wrong panel type. I can do this with the wired keypad disconnected.

Old 08-12-22, 10:48 AM
J
I just tried to enter programming mode (reset jumper on then off then 6653) and I can not enter programming mode. Nothing happens. The yellow LED on the panel circuit board does light when the reset jumper is in place.

Old 08-12-22, 10:50 AM
J
Is there any way to do a hard reset such as jumpering something on the printed circuit board or some such thing?

Old 08-12-22, 03:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe that there is, however, doing so will require reprogramming all of the aspects of your system configuration from scratch. This is assuming that the original installer didn't use a lockout code to prevent others from doing so.

Here's the programming guide: https://www.dmp.com/assets/LT-0981.pdf
As mentioned, the number of times I've touched this brand could be counted on one hand, so the most I can offer is an educated interpretation.

Old 08-12-22, 04:56 PM
J
I did not set a lock out code. I know that if the lock out code is lost, the panel has to go back to DMP for reset. This is unlike the Honeywell which can be reset by anyone. I do have a lot of wireless sensors programmed, so it would be a pain in the neck to reprogram all of them, but the panel is not good as it is now. I suspect that the method that DMP uses to reset the lock out code is not as easy as a jumper from point A to point B, but hope springs eternal. Thanks for the program guide, it is silent on my problem though. But the panel is not locked out, it just will not go into programing mode. Maybe a full reset if I knew how to do that. Thanks

Old 08-13-22, 08:31 AM
J
A possible clue:
When I attempt to enter programming mode, the panel arms.
Voltage on the green key pad wire is 1.5, not 3.5
I can get into diagnostic mode but not programming mode.
I took the panel circuit board out of the metal enclosure and a few minutes later my dog was found playing with a screw of the type used on the terminal strip, but none were missing. I wonder if it was lodged behind the circuit board and shorted something out.
What does anything think, board is toast??

Old 08-13-22, 04:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Hmm...
Try this: disconnect the keypad wiring at the control. Temporarily wire the wired keypad with a short length of known good cable right there at the alarm control, and see if it works correctly. I'm wondering if your field wiring for the keypad may have an issue.

Old 08-13-22, 06:06 PM
J
Tried that and no joy. Screw causing a short ruled out. It was the screw holding the transformer into the electric outlet. I have the printed circuit board, keypad and battery sitting on my workbench showing the same trouble. Both the wired and wireless keypad do the same thing. Instead of going into programing, it arms the alarm. No way to get into programing, reset and 6653 just arms it. I was going to delete all wireless modules but can not enter programing. I am at wits end.

Old 08-13-22, 07:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
At this point, all I can conclude is that the firmware had some kind of failure. From a quick read of their installer and programming manual; the only default path is via entering programming.

Old 08-14-22, 06:46 AM
J
I think you are correct. Is there any other reset procedure or way to enter programing except 6653?

Old 08-14-22, 08:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Nope, looks like programming access is the only way. There is no hardware "back door".

Old 08-15-22, 04:23 PM
J
Well thanks, at least I tried everything I know of. Too bad DMP tech support will not talk to anyone except to their own dealers. Mr. Ron, you were very helpful and I thank you for taking the time.

Old 08-16-22, 02:40 AM
R
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Found this link to a troubleshooting PDF for DMP techs and dealers.

https://usermanual.wiki/m/96333377c2...5b68c7d101.pdf

See page 22, Common Troubleshooting under “can’t get into programming>Other”

You will either solve the problem or declare it dead.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-16-22, 10:15 AM
J
I think it is time to call the panel dead. Reset followed by 6653 only arms the panel. Power up with reset does nothing. Voltage on green wire is only 1.5 to 2 volts both with KP connected and not connected. XT-50 RIP

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: