Updated UL requirements

Old 09-17-22, 04:32 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Updated UL requirements

So after my VISTA-20P started acting wonky after a lightning strike, I replaced it, and it's working great. Went from revision 5.2 to 10.24.

The new system shipped with a sheet of updated UL requirements, of which one was "Panel supports only wireless CO detectors".

What exactly does this mean? Can I not use a wired CO detector like the System Sensor CO1224T?

Thanks!

Old 09-18-22, 05:04 AM
T
Received 99 Votes on 86 Posts
I've been retired for some time now, but UL requirements like the one you listed was mainly for systems where there was a UL Certificate issued. Certificates are issued by a UL Listed Installing Company, and certify that the equipment in installation meet UL requirements. All this cost$ money!

If UL requirements is the only mention that you can't use wired CO detectors, I wouldn't worry about it. But if it is stated elsewhere in the installation instructions, I would not do it.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters.

Old 09-18-22, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
UL certified requirements are much more stringent.
Based on that.... wired detectors would always be approved over a wireless choice.

I have never seen a wireless device approved over a wired device.

Old 09-22-22, 10:46 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Here's another question concerning the System Sensor CO1224T: If I have two of them on a zone and one detects CO, will both of them sound? Or only the initiating device?

Old 09-23-22, 02:05 AM
T
Received 99 Votes on 86 Posts
There is no communication between these devices, so only the initiating device will sound. Hopefully along with the system sounder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: