Help with security camera

Old 11-23-22, 07:57 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with security camera

Good morning all. Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this. I have an automatic gate opener that is operated via battery and a solar panel charging system. At my gate which is about 400' from the house I have pretty good Wi-Fi upload and download. My question is is there any way to tap into the panel And connect a low voltage security camera?

Old 11-23-22, 09:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,461 Posts
I would connect the camera and wifi transmitter to the battery, not the gate's controller. This would be a simple 12v connection.

Keep in mind that your camera and wifi transmitter will be operating 24/7 and not only a few times a day like the gate. This can put a substantial drain on the system and the solar panel might not keep up, allowing the battery to eventually discharge. So, you probably may need a larger solar panel which may also require a charge controller.

Old 11-23-22, 09:27 AM
A
Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts
would probably check with manufacturer I see they offer a camera not sure its compatible with your existing controller though.
another option would be just to buy a separate charge controller and panel hook camera to second charge controller load out and you will also have the additional panel charging the battery where your existing panel may not provide enough charge to operate both the gate and camera assuming you have enough battery capacity so having a higher charge rate from a second controller may likely be needed.
they do show a solar guide for their gate systems below.
Tips for Solar Installation | Ghost Controls

Old 11-23-22, 01:13 PM
S
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What wifi setup do you have that gets a good connection over 400 feet?

Old 11-24-22, 08:47 AM
T
Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts
sktn77a makes a valid point. Your gate is past the advertised 300' range of WiFi. Normally I would suggest Ubiquity for this, but not running from solar.

A directional antenna at the gate may get a good signal to the house, but it must be line of sight; no trees or tall bushes. Antenna must be solidly mounted and should be as high as feasible. Keep transmission line as short as possible and don't skimp on it; you want as little signal loss as possible.

Check that you can connect an external antenna to the device. To keep from getting sold something that won't work, learn to decode the letter(s) following the wireless network type designators; 802.11???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: