Assigned PTK5507 Touch Screen to "Global" Partition now unusable

Old 01-26-23, 12:00 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Assigned PTK5507 Touch Screen to "Global" Partition now unusable

I have a small DSC PowerSeries PC1864 "test" system that I am using to learn on. I guess I misunderstood the "Global" partition for keypads -- I assigned one of my PTK5507 Touch Screens to the "Global" partition (01). Now when I view the keypad on the touchscreen, it only displays the system version information and pressing * or # or any other key has no effect. Pressing the "Installer Menu" button on the touchscreen pops-up a "System Busy" message.
I tried:
  • Holding the # button (as instructed in this thread: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...stem-busy.html) but the # key has no effect.
  • I added another PTK5507 (partition/slot 17) and did a factory reset (Section 999 [INSTALLER CODE] 999). The "global" keypad still shows old data in the Zones menu which I would have thought would have been wiped by the 999 reset and still shows the System Busy message after pressing the "Installer Menu" button.
  • Disconnecting the keybus of the "global" keypad, restarting, and then the Section 999 reset, and then reconnecting the "global" keypad.
I have not tried a factory reset of my PC1864 system by shorting Zone 1 & PGM1, only because it seems this is a last resort, and I also thought that was what I was doing with the 999 reset. I don't need to "save" any settings I have done so far (just a test system).
Thanks for any suggestions,
Ken

Last edited by bionutrient; 01-26-23 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Clarifying that this is a DSC PowerSeries
Old 01-26-23, 05:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Resetting the alarm control won't fix this. The keypads have their own programming, configuration, and default procedure independent of the main system.

Since it's in global mode, you need to select partition 1, _then_ use keypad mode to go in to keypad programming to set the device to be a partition 1 keypad (address 11 instead of 01).

bionutrient voted this post useful.
Old 01-26-23, 05:35 PM
B
Oh I see -- thank you! I assume to select partition 1 I should go to Options > Partition Status, but I get the "System Busy" message when I do this. Is there another way to select Partition 1 with this keypad? Or could I use the other keypad attached to the system to change the programming of this erroneous one? (I think I saw a video of someone doing that with a Neo system but couldn't find similar for a PC1864)

Old 01-26-23, 06:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You have to do it from the keypad installer menu:
https://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=16952

Old 01-26-23, 11:05 PM
K
Received 31 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Hi bionutrient and welcome to the forums,
I never used PTK5507 keypad so I can't say from experience on that particular touchscreen keypad, but on other non-touchpad keypads you would press and hold # for few seconds (until keypad beeps or show partition status) and then hold number 1-8 corresponding to partition you want to temporary set and use.

Can you try pressing Options --> Keypad mode --> try holding # for few seconds and afterwards press/hold 1?

Old 01-27-23, 04:13 AM
B
You have to do it from the keypad installer menu:
https://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=16952
​​​​​​​but on other non-touchpad keypads you would press and hold # for few seconds
Thank you both for your input and thank you for the welcome! Unfortunately, accessing any menu is impossible: when I view the keypad on the touchscreen, it only displays the system version information and pressing * or # or any other key has no effect (the keypad continues to display the system version information and does not react at all). Pressing the "Installer Menu" button on the touchscreen pops-up a "System Busy" message.​​​​​​​

Is there someway to reset this touchscreen panel to factory defaults? (like shorting ports or inserting an SD card?)

Old 01-27-23, 05:53 AM
K
Or could I use the other keypad attached to the system to change the programming of this erroneous one
Sadly, no. Partition and slot information is stored inside keyboard memory, and it isn't changeable by anything else than that keypad itself. Even defaulting the panel won't help.

it only displays the system version information and pressing * or # or any other key has no effect
Have you tried holding # or 1 key for 2-3 seconds?

Is there someway to reset this touchscreen panel to factory defaults? (like shorting ports or inserting an SD card?)
I googled a bit and it doesn't look like there is any hardware default option. Only firmware update from SD card, but that is accessible only through installer menu...

Have you, by any chance, have any other partition armed? DSC panels will prohibit entering into installer menu if there is any armed partition on system, maybe they also prevent switching the partition in partition status menu.
EDIT: Im not sure how you can enter installer menu, if keyboard isn't assigned to any partition. PTK5507 is just a fancy keyboard using same protocol as 'dummy' keypads. What's funny that in some manuals I found that you can set PTK5507 as global keypad, while other manuals doesn't say thats possible.

Other than that, I have no idea. I'm not even sure that you can change keypad partition/slot information remotely from DLS V downloading software by connecting panel to PC.

Old 01-27-23, 12:50 PM
B
Hey thanks for your thoughts!
Have you tried holding # or 1 key for 2-3 seconds?
Yes, the keypad is totally unresponsive.

​​​​​​​Have you, by any chance, have any other partition armed?
No, no other partition armed. I worked with DSC technical support today and they had no idea what's happened either. I'm supposed to put a voltmeter on it to make sure the keyboard is getting proper voltage, and then call them back.

The DLS software is a great idea - I was intending to buy the link and get the software from my distributor. When I talk to DSC technical support again I'll ask if they think there's a chance that could work.

Thanks again!

Old 01-27-23, 08:30 PM
K
Manual for PTK5507 v1.0 which shows option to set keyboard as "Global": https://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=16943. In v1.1 manual linked above, only 1-8 partitions are acceptable, no global keyboard mode.

Maybe try power cycling the panel (disconnecting AC and then battery, and reconnecting in opposite order).

To eliminate wiring issue, you can temporary connect keyboard directly onto keybus connections on the panel.

I've checked (offline, without panel/kb) DLS-V options for PTK5507, and they don't include setting partition and slot. Partition/slot are only programmable from each keyboard separately.

BTW: you can home-made own pc-link cable, you only need RS232 DB9 connector (or old serial cable which you will cut), soldering iron and some wires/connector to connect onto main panel. Software is downloadable from internet.

If possible, let us know how this situation progresses in the end, I'm really curious and could probably help others if they make same mistake.

Old 01-30-23, 09:29 AM
B
Thank you for the great research and suggestions! Too bad about the DLS software not being a help, I was hoping for some magic there. I have asked my dealer if perhaps there's an EPROM I could buy to replace the existing one (i.e. with the original software/configuration).
I am very grateful for your guys' suggestions and thoughts and will definitely update in case someone else gets into this same mess. There's gotta be a way out -- I refuse to believe that this keypad is bricked. :-)

Old 02-01-23, 05:50 AM
B
Ohmigosh I fixed it! I just got lucky: I set the working keypad (Partition/Slot 18) into Section 902 (which seems to poll all of the connected modules to see what’s installed). While that polling was occurring, I attempted to enter programming on the non-working keypad (the one I had set to the "global" partition/slot 01) and the keypad was showing the zones and the Ready/Not Ready indicators, which was different than I would normally see (normally the keypad would just show a software version number and be non-responsive). So I tried to enter *8 for the installer menu and it worked!

I have since taken the keypad out of the “global” partition and set it to partition 1 and it is working fine now. I had done the Section 902 polling with DSC technical support many, many times to no avail, but attempting to access programming on the non-working keypad while the working keypad was doing the polling did the trick.

I got lucky, because normally I don't think you'd try to enter programming on another keypad when you're already programming on one. Also, the DSC Level 2 technical support told me it was bricked and I needed to buy another.

Thank you VERY much KriKon and MrRonFL for your valuable input, suggestions, and interest!

MrRonFL voted this post useful.
Old 02-09-23, 03:23 AM
B
I’ve got great news: I managed to get into programming on the "bricked" keypad!

I just got lucky: I set the working keypad into Section 902 (which seems to poll all of the connected modules to see what’s installed). While that polling was occurring, the non-working keypad was showing the zones and the Ready/Not Ready indicators (normally while "bricked" it would only show the current version and the keypad itself was unresponsive). So I tried to enter *8 for the installer menu and it worked -- the keys on the keypad had become responsive again!

I have since taken the keypad out of the “global” partition and set it to partition 1 and it is working fine now. I had done the Section 902 polling with DSC technical support many, many times to no avail, but attempting to access programming on the non-working keypad while the working keypad was doing the polling did the trick.

Thank you again to KriKon and MrRonFL for your great suggestions and thoughts.

Old 02-09-23, 04:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Definitely counts as an "undocumented failure" mode. Glad you finally hit on a combo of conditions that would get you in. They probably need to make the instructions clearer to NOT put one of these into global mode, or even lock out that possible setting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: