First Alert Smoke Detector Sensitivity

Old 03-21-23, 07:42 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First Alert Smoke Detector Sensitivity

I have brand new First Alert smoke detectors in the house. I have 2 in a separate unfinished utility room with 1 attached to the ceiling as you open the room and another on the opposite side of the room sitting on top of the gas hot water heater near the gas furnace. Yesterday, 1 of the 2 went off and I ran downstairs and opening the door stopped the alarm, so I am not sure which went off or smoke vs carbon monoxide. I didn't smell anything noticeable, and this has not happened before, but it is concerning. How sensitive are the First Alerts? Could the exhaust from the hot water heater set it off?

Old 03-21-23, 09:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
"Could the exhaust from the hot water heater set it off?"
You said you have smoke detectors then alluded to possibly have CO detection as well. But anything burning can trigger a smoke or CO alarm.

Old 03-21-23, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
sitting on top of the gas hot water heater
I would expect a smoke detector sitting on top of a gas water heater to go into alarm.

One smoke detector on the ceiling in the utility room is all that's needed.

Old 03-21-23, 11:37 AM
S
Sorry I was not clear. First Alert smoke and carbon monoxide. One of them has been on the hot water heater for a long time which is the concern. I'll move it away but it was odd placement from previous owner and odd that it suddenly went off.

Old 03-21-23, 01:18 PM
T
Received 195 Upvotes on 171 Posts
Wind could send some CO back down the vent stack causing the detector to activate, if the CO side is the one that activated. If the detector was laying upside down, it was not tested in that position and results could be erratic.

Check your instructions. The device causing the alarm should have some indication.

Old 03-21-23, 02:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
CO detectors usually don't alarm immediately. Most use time vs dose algorithm to determine when to sound the alarm. A low level of CO might take over an hour for it to alarm while a higher concentration will set it off much quicker. Smoke detection is more a on/off, yes/no situation and can be quite sensitive and will alarm immediately if you burn your toast.

Old 03-21-23, 07:19 PM
S
^^^
This is what I assumed but not sure why all of a sudden. Perhaps just a whiff came out the exhaust stack and the alarm caught it. Nothing today so I will assume an anomaly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: