DSC KeyPad Won't Shut Smoke Detector Off

Old 03-22-23, 12:28 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation DSC KeyPad Won't Shut Smoke Detector Off

Hi everyone, I'm a new user looking for some help/information. I have a DSC alarm/keypad and have run into a issue testing my smoke detectors. Anytime I set one off, I can shut the general alarm off from the keypad with my code, but it won' shut off the individual smoke detector from "beeping". I, of course, tried *72/holding reset but when I do that it says function not available. I've tried around 5 different smoke detectors in my home and all have this issue, so I'm guessing it can't be the detectors, it has to be in the programming or something is wrong in the alarm panel? All smoke detectors/carbon monoxide detectors are hardwired. My carbons reset when I test them, I just put my code into the keypad and it shuts them off. In my panel the board is a PC1864 if that helps. I would appreciate and insight or guesses on what to do. Besides this the alarm is functioning properly, with doors/carbon monoxide detector testing. Once again thank you for taking the time to read this and providing any insight, I really appreciate it. All the best, Rich

Old 03-22-23, 05:16 PM
T
Received 195 Upvotes on 171 Posts
How are you testing the smoke detectors?

Old 03-22-23, 07:34 PM
B
Hi,
Thanks for the response. I'm testing them with the canned spray that's suppose to simulate smoke. I got it from the local fire department, it's what they use to test the detectors. Thanks, Rich

Old 03-23-23, 03:50 AM
T
The aerosol particles can remain in the sensing chamber longer than you would think. After silencing, wait a few minutes before resetting. Or you fan the detector vigorously for 30 seconds. I found both to be effective.

Follow the instructions on use of canned smoke exactly. Spraying too long or too close to the detector might cause problems later.

Old 03-23-23, 07:36 AM
B
Thanks for the tip, I tried that but no change. So I tried manually testing the detector(pressing in the button) and had the same issue. Keypad won't shut it off/says function not available when I try *72 or holding reset.

Old 03-23-23, 08:05 AM
T
Never seen a visible test button on a system smoke detector, other than wireless. If it is wireless, the control panel has no way of resetting the smoke; you just have to wait for the chamber to clear.

Old 03-23-23, 08:30 AM
B
I'm sorry for the confusion. I had a buddy over to help me test, while I stayed at the keypad. He sprayed it too as he said he couldn't find a test button. After your last reply I waited 5 minutes and used a fan to circulate the air but the single detector still was going off. I tried my code again/*72/holding reset it just kept saying function unavailable still. I have to go unplug the backup batteries/power to system to stop it. Once again apologizes about the earlier post, I was going off a buddy on the other side of my house. Thank you

Old 03-23-23, 07:41 PM
B
Issue was solved, thanks to everyone who posted/took time to read.

Old 03-24-23, 05:46 AM
T
Issue was solved, thanks to everyone who posted/took time to read.
BigRich
Congratulations! But to quote a song from Grease, "Tell me more, tell me more ...". It might help someone with the same problem.

Old 01-18-24, 03:02 PM
D
My smoke alarm went off because of dust while doing some renovation work. I wasn't able to reset the alarm code (zone 6 on my system) pressing RESET or *72. Cleaned the detector, no dust on it. Tried to RESET multiple times, nothing. The detector uses a magnet to test as the detector has no external reset button.
I ended up having to power down the system in order to reset the smoke alarm. Not very convenient.

This is my system.
PC5010 rev6 Ma board, DSC 5508Z LED keypad.
It's a 4 wire smoke alarm with the yellow wire connected to zone 6, green to zone 6 COM, red to AUX+ and black to AUX-.
There are no wires connected to PGM1 or PGM2 on the PC5010 bus leads and this makes me think that it is not wired correctly as I think one of the wires needs to be connected to either PGM1 or PGM2 based on the amperage required for the smoke detector.
I also looked at the program sheet left by the installer and noticed that the program section 009 for PGM1 and PGM2 was left blank. The installation manual for the programming work sheets shows default values of 19 and 10 for PGM1 and PGM2, respectively. I understand that for the smoke alarm, it requires a value of 03 (Sensor Reset) in order to have it reset and clear the alarm code for my zone 6 after pressing RESET or *72.
My question is how do I program it and wire it correctly?

Would this work on the LED keypad:
*8, [master code], 009, 03, # (this would be for PGM1) or this
*8, [master code], 009, 03, 10, #, #.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by datsun; 01-18-24 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Forget some comments
Old 01-19-24, 09:39 PM
D
I got it solved, the code was *8 [installer code, not master code], 009, 03, 10, # # for PGM1.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: