Radionics Omega D6112 wired system cannot communicate with Central Station

Old 11-26-23, 06:46 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Radionics Omega D6112 wired system cannot communicate with Central Station

I had this installed in 1991. Door & window sensors & PIRs & 2 keypads. 8 zones.

Uses my landline to communicate. Since then the alarm company was bought out or merged 2x.

A couple of days ago my alarm monitoring company called to tell me the system failed to call in for the daily check in. My phone line is working. I called & the guy had me go to the keypad & press: cmd-4-1 to force the system to call in. Did not call in.

I waited till next day to see if it “fixed itself” & called in…nope. 2nd day missed calling in. I had another employee at the monitoring station on the phone who wanted to send out a tech. ($120 minimum + $60 each additional hour) I asked if there is some type of reset I could try now. Per instructions, I unplugged the power supply to the Alarm Panel & also disconnected the 12V backup battery. (I tested battery with multimeter & 13.6V so, good battery) I reconnected battery & plugged power back in & was told the system did not reset/restore. Only option was tech visit which is scheduled for Monday PM.

I also unplugged/re-plugged the telephone RJ11 jack in the Alarm Cabinet & seems OK.

My concern, from what I have been reading online is that many Alarm company techs do not have the equipment to program the 3 decade old Radionics Alarm panels.

So the tech may come out & be unable to fix it & just tell me I need a new Alarm Panel & new keypads. I do not know what they would charge or what new panel & keypads they would want to install & what they would charge.

If I know for a fact that I do need a new panel & keypads, I would want to shop around for equipment & company to install.

I do not want to pay $120 just to be told this.

I plan to move in the next year so prefer not to upgrade the system.

Are there common reasons a Radionics Omega D6112 wired system cannot communicate with Central Station?

Maybe a component in the Alarm box that can be replaced that will fix this issue?

If I do need to replace the Alarm panel, does that mean I must replace the keypads as well?

Would I want something like Honeywell VISTA-20P?

I see it on Amazon for $114. That seems very reasonable.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-VIS.../dp/B000H05W9C

Looking at the picture it seems to only have a circuit board & metal enclosure. I assume the rest of the parts would be moved from my old box to this new one?

IDK how much labor time to swap this box for my old box.

Thanks for any help!

Old 11-26-23, 10:50 AM
T
Received 190 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Unless you have a compatible Radionics programmer, forget the used board. If you switched to VOIP phone service, that's very like ly the problem.

First, make sure the phone cord at the panel is firmly plugged in to the RJ31X jack at the panel.

Next, see if the panel seizes the phone line. Pick up a phone to draw dial tone and do a Command 41 at the keypad. If the panel seizes the phone line, the dial tone will disappear.

If it does seize the line, you can go further, but will need to wire a phone to the jack at the panel. Let us know if you want to proceed.

Old 11-26-23, 11:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 285 Upvotes on 262 Posts
Radionic used a communications format that many current generation central stations, and current digital derived phone lines, don't work well with. Even the programming tool, and info for one this old is going to be rare to find. Honestly, if you can afford to, replacing the alarm control and keypads with something current production is a smart choice.

It will be a bit of a project, since Radionic/Bosch did a lot of things somewhat differently from most other main stream alarm systems.

Old 11-26-23, 05:32 PM
S
Thanks for the replies.

@ThisOld Man, I did check the that the phone jack was firmly plugged in at the panel…it is.

IDK what you mean by “Used board”

I do have Cox VOIP phone service, using the Cox supplied modem for both Internet & landline phone service…since 2017! So no Alarm issues over the past 6 years.

My Alarm system panel does NOT seize the phone line. I have witnessed the Alarm seizing the home line many times over the years when I test my system. I would call the central station, have then take me offline for testing, set off several alarms, in different zones & then call the central station to verify what signals they received & verify that it matched what I set off & then have the put me back online. To speed up the testing, I would carry a cordless phone with me to the keypad, use speakerphone to hear the dial tone, set off the alarm, stop the alarm by entering my code, enter cmd 4 to clear it. I would hear the dial tone stop & I think I’d hear the alarm system touch tone dialing & then a couple minutes of silence as it communicated & then heard the dial tone once again as it released the phone line.

@ MrRonFL, Are you saying it is not possible for the Alarm company tech
to fix the communication problem, even if he has the programming tool?

So, all he will do is charge me the $120 to tell me I need a new Alarm Control & 2 keypads?

You say that will be “a bit of a project’

So, that means more labor time & expense?

Once the Radionics Control is removed there will be many wires coming out of the wall, for all the sensors, the horn & a phone line…that is it. The 2 keypads once removed will leave wires at the wall.

Why would attaching the new Control unit & new keypads be more of a project?

Also, do you have suggestions on what brand/model Control unit & keypads I should buy? I only need 8 zones. I do not need any more bells & whistles since, as I mentioned, I will not be staying in this house long term.

{Once I move into new house, I will install a state of the art new system, probably wireless & use cell signal to communicate & probably link to home automation & my cell phone & cameras…but certainly not now}

I was hoping there would be some “communication module” in my box that could be replaced, quickly & easily. So I would pay the $120 service charge + pay for the new part to restore communication for my old system.

Thanks!

Old 11-26-23, 06:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Any new system would use the existing infrastructure wiring, contacts, and probably siren. Keypads would be a one for one swap. It's a bit labor intensive simply because you are dealing with so many connections. My house had an old Radionic panel, and even with a ton of experience, and tools like toners and continuity testers, it took me about 6 hours to swap out the system (12 windows, 3 doors, 2 keypads). If you have a good listing as to which existing zones do what, it does simplify the process. Radionic used slightly different wiring standards from most other intrusion alarms, nothing drastic, but does require thinking through the differences. That said, mine was a non-functional system, with absolutely no records of the original configuration, and issues with some of the field wiring.

There is no "communication module". The dialer is integral to the main board.

These days, either the Honeywell Vista, or the DSC NEO or Power Series is going to be the most commonly available, and best supported.

semihandyman voted this post useful.
Old 11-26-23, 08:52 PM
S
Thanks Ron,

Very helpful reply.
I have; 14 windows,3 doors, 2 PIRs & 2 keypads. I’m the original owner & was new construction in 1991. So I have a list or what rooms each zone covers.

It appears if my Radionics dialer is not working then I would have to replace the main board and that would mean an updated system and keypads and based on your experience, possibly six hours labor. Which would be $420 based on what they've told me plus the cost of the new hardware.

I see on Amazon: “Honeywell VISTA-20P Ademco Control Panel, PCB in Aluminum Enclosure” $114.48
“Honeywell 6160RF Custom Alpha Integrated Keyboard/Transeiver” $139.99

So appears that buying all 3 is

Last edited by semihandyman; 11-26-23 at 08:54 PM. Reason: reply cut off
Old 11-26-23, 08:55 PM
S
My very long reply is getting cut off!

Old 11-26-23, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,881 Upvotes on 3,478 Posts
The D6112 is pretty much bullet proof. Radionics/Bosch is different in that for their systems you have just about always needed a separate standalone programmer. That would be the D5200 programmer. A very confusing programmer.

Many guys still have them. I do. I make calls to my own older installs and others that no longer have their programmers. The second problem was that programmer required a dealer password for a panel to be programmed.

It's very strange that your system lost the dialer. One problem I've seen was the panel was still in pulse (dial) mode and was not longer seen where tone dialing was required. Still... whatever is programmed should still interupt the phone line even if it can't communicate correctly.

Old 11-26-23, 08:57 PM
S
I am unable to get my long reply posted. Cuts off after: “So, Appears that buying all 3 is”
I tried removing the Amazon link & still same cutoff.

I may try again later or tomorrow.

Old 11-26-23, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,881 Upvotes on 3,478 Posts
Shouldn't care about the link and shouldn't be any max length.
If you get kicked off the page... come back and look for "restore auto saved" in lower gray bar.

Old 11-27-23, 03:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You would only need a RF model keypad if you plan to add wireless devices (and only 1 is needed). The baseline 6160 keypad is needed to configure the system.

That said, the communication issue could easily be something minor, and may just take a small fix. Probably worth having a tech with proper tools take a look.

Old 11-28-23, 02:22 PM
C
Received 71 Upvotes on 64 Posts
One possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet is that a phone technician _may_ have disconnected the Panel's phone line at the Telco Demarcation block. Alarm panels (the D6112 in your case) are wired differently than phones, and confuses many of the "newer" phone techs (with fewer than 40 years experience), and I've seen them disconnect them simply because they didn't know what they were and what to do with them.
You seem to be handy with tools, so if you can check for a live phone line at your RJ31X block (or phone terminals on the D6112), you may find your problem.
Unfortunately I have never worked with a panel using VOiP, since they are notoriously unreliable, so I can't tell you what voltage to look for, but hooking up one of your phones to the RJ31X (or D6112) should work. One of the other techs with more VOiP experience may know a better way to check. If you can find the Demarc (demarcation block), you may find your four RJ31X wires disconnected there. The Demarc may be outside or inside the house. You can find a picture of a Demarc block on Wikipedia ("demarcation point").

Old 11-28-23, 02:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Typical VOIP output voltage is similar to a land line ~30 volts.

Old 11-29-23, 01:39 AM
S
I’m back. Been very busy troubleshooting & fixing this problem.
I will try, yet again, to post the reply I had attempted to post on 11-26-2023, 8:50 PM:
—————————————————————————————
Thanks Ron,

Very helpful reply.
I have; 14 windows,3 doors, 2 PIRs & 2 keypads. I’m the original owner & was new construction in 1991. So I have a list or what rooms each zone covers.

It appears if my Radionics dialer is not working then I would have to replace the main board and that would mean an updated system and keypads and based on your experience, possibly six hours labor. Which would be $420 based on what they've told me plus the cost of the new hardware.

I see on Amazon: “Honeywell VISTA-20P Ademco Control Panel, PCB in Aluminum Enclosure” $114.48
“Honeywell 6160RF Custom Alpha Integrated Keyboard/Transeiver” $139.99

So appears that buying all 3 is

Old 11-29-23, 01:41 AM
S
OK this is ridiculous! The exact same thing is happening. 90% of my detailed message, that took me a long time to compose, is not being posted! It appears both in the text field as well as in the preview field. But when I click post reply I get the crap you see above where it's all cut off and makes no sense!
I wasted a huge amount of time days ago trying to repost this and I used both quick reply as well as go advanced with the same exact results!

Old 11-29-23, 03:12 AM
T
Received 190 Upvotes on 166 Posts
This site seems to have more than its share of issues lately. Try composing your reply in a text editor, then copy and paste it into the reply section.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: