RFK5501 screen issue

Old 04-01-24, 08:22 AM
Y
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
RFK5501 screen issue

Hi, here is the picture. I have a PC1616 with a RFK5501. I have the master and the installer codes. The only connections to the board are the AC adapter and the keypad. I have verified the cabling to make sure that the code of colors is correct for both the keypad and the PC1616.
The problem I am facing with this setup is that I can see dashes for the time, I do not see any of the ready light, armed light or system trouble light. I can't ear the buzzer. If I try to enter into programming mode nothing happens; no led, no sound, nothing displayed and after a while, the dashes are back with the icon for opened zones, which is normal since they are all disconnected. I have searched for some sort of factory reset of the keypad, but did not find anything. So the question is: how can I get back my keypad in normal operation?

Old 04-07-24, 02:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 311 Upvotes on 286 Posts
Did you possibly try to set the keypad address and set it for "global" with an address like "01"?

Old 04-07-24, 02:19 PM
Y
Hi MrRonFL,
the short answer is no. Would the setting of the keypad as "global" result in the fact that the screen looks the way I have described? If so, could you please provide me with the proper "command" to set the keypad has being not "global"?

Old 04-07-24, 02:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Try pressing and holding # or a few seconds, then press 1. If the keypad then gives you a "normal" display, then you need to go back into the keypad setup programming and set it to a partition address, like 11 instead of 01.

If that _doesn't_ work, then either you have bad continuity in one or more of the data wires, or you have the two data wires swapped, or it's a defective keypad.

Have you tried connecting the keypad directly to the system terminals with a short length of known good cable?

PK series keypad installation manual: https://www.concordpacific.com/wp-co...rity_Alarm.pdf

Old 04-07-24, 02:54 PM
Y
I cannot do what you are suggesting right now because I am out of town. I will be back tomorrow afternoon and will try the proposed sequence and report back to you.

Regarding your last question, the answer is yes. I have removed the keypad from its location and I have plugged it directly to the PC1616 using a brand new short cable and it is still connected this way.

Thanks for the link about the keypad. I had already been through it as well as the manual about PC1616 but I am lost because I cannot relate the present state of the keypad with the content of these manuals. This thread is my last attempt before throwing everything into the garbage can. Sorry about this but this is my current state of mind.

Old 04-08-24, 01:23 PM
Y
I'm now back in town and I have tried holding de # for a couple of seconds and then the system trouble led turned on with a beep. I have pressed 1 and held it for a couple of seconds and then the keypad went through the checking of the 6 zones once and then the first 2 zones.

Next, I have managed to enter the date and time no problem.

However, if I want to change the partition (*, 8, installer code, 000, 0, 11, ##) nothing happens; no beep, no led turned on, no message saying that I am in programming mode. After a while, the time shows up.

What about sections 995/999?

Old 04-08-24, 02:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You definitely had the keypad in global mode. Once you were in a partition, you _should_ have been able to change the keypad address.
It can't hurt to default the keypad. I don't know if this was new hardware when you started, or you got it "gently used". One quirk of DSC devices is if someone inadvertently changes a setting in an area marked in the programming worksheets as "for future use" you can get some unpredictable behavior.

Just remember to treat the row of numbers at the top of the screen as if they are the LEDs on a LED model keypad for the purpose of interpreting the programming settings, as per the "how to program" chapter in the alarm control installer manual.

Old 04-08-24, 03:25 PM
Y
What bugs me is the following found in the manual of the keypad: "NOTE: LED and ICON keypads cannot be programmed as Global Keypads". My understanding is that the RFK5501 is a LED/ICON keypad. How come then that the keypad is a global keypad? If it cannot be a global keypad then any attempt to force this should be rejected by the keypad. Does it make sense to you?

As far as section 995/999 are concerned, I have tried the following:
*, 8, installer code, 995, *
*, 8, installer code, 999, *
Unfortunately, nothing happens; nothing shows up on the screen other than the icon Program, no beep, no led turned on. After a while, the time shows up. That's it that's all. Resetting the keypad should bring it back with the LEDs at the right hand side. I would expect to hear the buzzer.

Regarding the row of numbers, I don't see any even if I try section 013 or 015 or 380.

I have just moved to this house where the keypad was already installed.

Old 04-08-24, 03:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It will let you enter the setting, but it won't work correctly because it doesn't have the correct type of display. Basically the only difference between this keypad an the PK5500 is the PK5500 has the full LCD display and the memory for the descriptors. All the rest of the firmware is the same. It's a common installation error.

To default the keypad, you have to go into keypad programming _first_, then enter the default command.
*8 [installer code] 000 999*
If this was an existing system, are you _sure_ you have a working installer code? It's rare for the factory default code to still work on an installed system, since the installer generally changes it.

Old 04-08-24, 05:51 PM
Y
if I understand you correctly, you can enroll a RFK5501 to become a global keypad but it will not act/display information as if it was an eligible keypad. Did I get it right?
I was told that the installer and master codes were set to their default values.
I have managed to modify the format of time to HHMM using section 076. So it looks like we are back in business.
To ensure that this is the case, Tomorrow I intend to verify the default values for each section. Once I am done, I will report the results of this exercise to you. Don't let me down just yet.
Thank you very much MrRonFl for your help so far.

Old 04-08-24, 06:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, DSC keypads will allow you to configure them as "global" even if it won't work properly. It's a design flaw that goes back to their very first power series panels. The info to not do that is in the instructions, but it's easy for people to get in a hurry and skip over.

That said:
If you were able to get to the time setting format, then you have a working installer code. Q.E.D.

Old 04-09-24, 02:07 PM
Y
First of all, something unexpected came up today and as a consequence, I cannot spend the day verifying default values for each section as intended but I will do it soon.

Something I did not mention yesterday is the fact that I have tried 995 and 999 using the proposed sequence but as soon as I reached the point of keying in the numbers (995 or 999) then the keypad reacted by long beeps on each number, which I believe to be the sign of an error. I am pretty sure that it did not work due to the fact the time was not erased, which is something I would have expected while resetting the keypad EEPROM to factory defaults.

One more thing, if I leave the keypad for a while and I come back later, I can see the time but if I try to key in *,8, installer code, followed by whatever section code, the system does not react. To bring it back to "life", I have to hold # for a couple of seconds and then the trouble icon comes up and I can enter *, 8, installer code, followed by whatever section code and it works. I don't think this is normal.

Old 04-09-24, 02:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The keypad is still set as "global". I think your attempt to set it to a standard address didn't take.

Old 04-16-24, 11:34 AM
Y
Hi MrRonFL I am back to the alarm system. Sorry for the delay.
The good news is that I believe the keypad is no longer set as global. The time is showing up, the open icon and the chime icon are also showing up but more importantly, if I go into programming mode, I can hear the buzzer and see the ready light or the armed light depending on where I stand into programming.
I did not have a chance to verify default values yet but I have a question or two for you.
How do I find out the value assigned to a keypad function key?
How can you exit from programming without applying any change?
Regarding the reset of the keypad options to factory default (995), I must be missing something because it does not seem to work. I enter *, 8, installer code, 000, and as soon as I touch the number 9, the keypad beeps and it keeps beeping with the 2 other 9, including *. It is the same thing with code 999 to reset EEPROM.
I think that if I could reset the keypad, it would save me verifying each section.

Old 04-16-24, 12:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Try *8 [installer code] * then 999*

The function key assignments are under programming locations 1-5 when you do *8 [installer code] 000

It's all on that keypad programming instructions previously posted, but it's easy to let one's eyes skip over the details.

yvon514 voted this post useful.
Old 04-16-24, 01:04 PM
Y
entrying * instead of 000 was the solution. All symbols on the screen showed up and then disappeared, but after a while the time is back in the AM/PM format instead of HHMM, which was the previous format before the reset.

Regarding the function keys, I know their location and how to get there but I thought that their assigned value would have been displayed somehow. I realize now that it is not possible due to the fact that the acceptable values range from 00 to 32 while the screen is limited to display 1 to 8. Anyhow, since a reset was forced, I would assume it should no longer be an issue.

Now that I am back on track, I will review each component of the system. For instance, I know that I have to replace the siren. I will proceed to the verification of each programming section of the PC1616 before trying to turn this system on. I want to avoid false alarms as much as possible.

Thank you very much MrRonFL for your help.

Old 04-16-24, 02:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's the same modified binary truth table all DSC entries use, per the "how to program" instructions in the system manual: 1=1; 2=2; 3=4; 4=8; 5=16; 6=32; 7=64; 8=128

You take the row of zone numbers displayed for a section, and add the equivalent values together to get the value for that location.

In any case, they should all be back to their factory default settings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: