Help with a strange Vista 20p problem after 6160 keypad replacement.

Old 04-21-24, 02:06 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Help with a strange Vista 20p problem after 6160 keypad replacement.

So this is a monitored vista 20p (9.18 firmware) panel with two 6160 keypads and 7 hardwired zones. System was installed around 2014 and has been flawless until I recently replaced a failing 6160 keypad with another new one in a sealed honeywell/residio box purchased from amazon.

Setup went cleanly. Set it to ID 16 on startup(upstairs 6160 KP is 17). Everything works as expected BUT.... every five minutes now on the dot only when disarmed..... The keypads (both) light up and emit a loud Beeeeeeeeep. The only thing displayed is Disarmed/Ready to Arm. Once armed this no longer happens. Also if I poweroff/restart the system and leave the initial disarmed state it doesn't happen. Once I arm and then disarm the annoying charm returns every five minutes...

I have tried/changed, the battery, a brand new Neptune 40a transformer, and also tried a new 6160 keypad from amazon. Same results. I even changed the upstairs old keypad to the new one so I now have two new 6160's. Same problem. Triple checked all the simple wiring.... Never touched any of the programming. The alarm company doesn't see a thing.

So maybe some incompatibility with the new 2024 6160 keypads (the boards/components are definitely different) and the 9.18 board? Upgrade the prom chip to 10.23?

Any clues or suggestions would be appeciated. I have the installer code.

Old 04-22-24, 08:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 312 Upvotes on 287 Posts
Generally, the Vista hardware is pretty consistent. They really haven't changed the keypad design in years, and there's no firmware incompatibilities that I'm aware of.

Could it be something like a system battery that's on the verge of failure, and the low battery is flicking on and off before you can spot it? It sounds like you have verified that both keypads aren't sharing the same address.

Other than double checking your wiring connections on the new keypad, based on the information provided, it's hard to make even an educated guess.

michael_hunte voted this post useful.
Old 04-22-24, 10:57 AM
S
Received 17 Upvotes on 17 Posts
Did you power-down the system (battery and transformer) before replacing the keypad?

Old 04-22-24, 02:19 PM
M
Yep, I've actually tried two brand new batteries.... both are charging to 13.6+ volts and seem good.

And yeah, I've completely shutdown and restarted about 30 times now. Both keypads were installed with everything powered down.

I've gone through the vista programming guide a few times and didn't see anything that could be setup to poll every 5 minutes. It's almost like a reminder that the system is unarmed... It's maddening!

Absent any other suggestions I guess a new panel is in order.

Old 04-22-24, 02:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as neither keypad is a wireless receiver model; the only thing I can think to try is to disconnect one of them. restart and see if it does the glitch with a single keypad. Then try the same thing with the other keypad.

I can't recall anyone reporting a Vista 20p with this kind of hiccup, before.

Old 04-23-24, 02:59 PM
M
Neither keypad is or was an RF, just two plain Jane 6160 alphas.... I'll try the single keypad and see how that goes.

I'm also kinda curious if I put back my old keypads if it'd still do it. The one that really needed replacement just had a bad keypad from a decade of use. I wonder if I could hack the new keypad silicon/boards onto the old 6160's if that turns out to be the problem. They look identical at least compared to the rest of the components which are not.

I've looked at several 20p programming guides and can't find anything that would alert/remind on a "Disarmed" state. I used to work in a store where the (much more complex) system would do that since there were zones (i.e. back loading dock doors) that were supposed to be always armed.

Is there a good technical resource anywhere that describes, in detail, the main board firmware changes (i.e. 9.18 to 10.22/23)?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 04-23-24, 04:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
They don't really have nuts and bolts details of these firmware changes where they are generally accessible. Best I can tell, all it really does is allow the Total Connect package to work, and adds compatibility with some of the newer communicator models and wireless devices.

Old 04-25-24, 02:16 PM
M
So I put back both the "old" 6160's exactly where they were.

The system is now exactly as it was before I first replaced the keypad.

BEEEEEEEP every 5 minutes. So something died or is dying on the main panel. It's not either keypad and there are no errors displayed so it's unlikely any zone wiring or zone HW...

That leaves the panel itself or maybe the cellular 4lte module (apparently wired through the keypad bus). That's not throwing any errors but is there a way to troubleshoot that? If I just disconnect the cellular module from the panel will that throw a constant alarm/fault?

The whole system is about to be removed and then rapidly disassembled at 100 yards with great prejudice.

Old 04-25-24, 03:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You have to disconnect the radio from the key is (power down, like working with the keypads). Then go into programming and set *29 to 0 to make it stop looking for the radio.

No, it won't trigger alarms in a disarmed state.

Old 04-25-24, 04:09 PM
M
So.... I think I figured it out... Thanks for the tips MrRonFL...

When I disabled the 4lte radio through programming or just pulling it's positive power wire (which threw an error of course) The keypad noise problem went away. Plugging the Cell unit back in I watched the many LED's carefully. It seemed that every 5 minutes it actively performed some kind of test or phoned home perhaps. The red "LAN" light would flicker when the cell unit was transmitting (over Cell.... no tcpip hookup here). I had a multimeter on the power to the cell board and it would drop briefly to 11.5v when active (13.5 normal)... This seemed a bit severe esp since I have a new monster A/C transformer and battery. When it did that.... BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

Long story short, the main + wire to the vista 20p "looked" solid but when I went to unscrew it, every copper strand was broken except 3!... the rest sprinkled to the bottom of the case like copper confetti...... I restripped and tinned both red and black. Now the power is solid with no major dip....

So it must have been that periodic cell test that drew just enough power to freak the panel out (without tripping an AC fault) but still complete it's own test. Just noodling here.... And apparently it doesn't run that test when actively armed.

kbuhagiar voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: