upgrade vista20 to 20p - 5827BD not working

Old 06-06-24, 09:58 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
upgrade vista20 to 20p - 5827BD not working

We had a 20+ year old vista20 and 2 5827BD keypads with one 5800TM. Worked great.

We upgraded the panel to vista20p. All is well except both 5827BD are only partially working. When I hit * to power up, the green light always blinks. No faults, but still blinks. I can arm and disarm the system, but I never get the red light showing it's armed, always blinking green. So it actually works, panic works, arm/disarm works. Just the LED lights don't show true status. It's like the transmitter is not transmitting correctly.

I see in the 5800TM install manual it says about some cut jumper but I can't find them anywhere. Then step 2 says: 2. Program the control panel, by assigning the address selected above to one of the wired consoles in the system. Maybe that was never done? Ideas how to verify?

After the upgrade we set the same house ID and verfied 5 times that the green and yellow wires connect to the right place on the panel. All of the sensors are wireless and it has the original RF receiver. All of the sensors tested working.

Does something else need to be set on the new panel for this to work right?

Thank you!

Last edited by atomz4peace; 06-06-24 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-07-24, 02:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Upvotes on 290 Posts
Yes, you have to both cut one of the jumpers on the 5800TM to select and address, _and_ enable the address in the Vista 20P keypad address programming.

Your older vista panel didn't need keypad addresses, so the 5800TM didn't need this done. Once you pop the cover, you should be able to spot the jumpers. They never did supply a diagram of the circuit board, for one of these: http://safe-tech.net/HONNEWELL/INSTA...TM-install.pdf

Old 06-09-24, 03:02 PM
A
Thank you very much MrRon for the confirmation!

I'm attaching a picture here. Are these red and white wires the jumpers? The guy doing the programming of the new panel (from bay alarm in CA) had no clue about the 5800. If so, does that mean we need to use wire cutters to snip the red to set to address 28?

Once done, how hard is it to do step 2 in the instructions?
2. Program the control panel, by assigning the address selected above to one of the wired consoles in the system. Note: For those controls requiring device programming (in ✱93 mode), program this device as an “Alpha Console.”
Is that documented online? I have the installer code and programming guide, but not really sure how to translate the words "assigning the address selected above to one of the wired consoles" into the programming steps? Or do we need the tech to come back out?

Thank you!

Old 06-09-24, 04:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, that's them. When you cut one, try to do it in such a way that it can be closed with a bit of solder, if needed.

Here's the problem. Hadn't caught it before, but the highest available address on a Vista 20p is #23. So, sadly, the 5827 BD isn't compatible with a Vista 20p. Don't waste any more time fighting with it.

For the residential grade systems, your only choice for a wireless keypad is 5828: https://www.resideo.com/us/en/pro/pr...h-keypad-5828/

Old 06-10-24, 12:03 AM
A
Thanks MrRon,

On the programming guide, it highlights that the 5800TM is special reserved on address 28, enabled by default: I see that on page 2 of this one: https://www.alarmliquidators.com/con...ng%20Guide.pdf

And then page 2-8 of the main manual: https://www.nationwidesecuritycorp.c...all-Manual.pdf, seems to imply that the 5827BD is supported. I see in the programming guide that keypads 1-8 are coded to addresses 16-23. You don't suppose that the BD on address 28 is just hard coded to work as a keypad since it's wired to the board on slots 6 and 7?

I see a couple of posts where it has been made to work: https://forums.cabling-design.com/se...pad-37463-.htm.

If we test by cutting the jumper, since we have nothing to lose, do we need to reboot/repower somehow since we changed the address?

Thank you!

Last edited by atomz4peace; 06-10-24 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-10-24, 02:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you my be right! I mostly do commercial systems, so I'm a tad rusty on the more obscure residential configurations. Try cutting the address 28 jumper. Just be sure to cut it in the part of that bare wire span so that it can be soldered together, if needed.

Old 06-10-24, 11:35 PM
A
That was it, just one jumper and done. In case anyone else finds this from google, to get the 5827BD working with the Vista 20p, just install the 5800TM to the standard console slots on the panel. Then program the house ID to whatever you want and of course, use the 5827BD instructions to set the device house ID to match whatever you set on the 20p. On the 5800TM, just cut the red wire (which sets the address to 28) and everything will automagically work. Setting the house ID tells the vista 20p to look for the 5800TM on address 28 and if it finds it, it is hard-coded to be a keypad. Everything is that same as the 20, just have to cut the red wire/jumper.

Thank you MrRon for the advice and confirmation on just what the jumper was.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: