Help...... Ademco 4140

Old 06-10-24, 03:39 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help...... Ademco 4140

Ademco 4140 with two 5137 keypads. New battery 6 months ago. I had the system installed back in 1989 and it has functioned flawlessly until now.

Today I was outside with alarm system disarmed with my rear entrance door open (which would prevent me from arming the system from a keypad.) All of a sudden the alarm sirens started to sound. I went to the keypad and attempted to disarm the system but it was like the keypad had no affect. I went to the main control box and pulled the AC feed and also unpluged the battery. System now disabled. I re-energized the AC feed to the main panel and when I walked to the keypad it said the system was armed Maximum with both the red and green indicating lights lit. Again with the rear door open?? Don't understand how it can arm with the door open.

So I again re-energized the alarm panel and again went to the keypad and both lights were lit (armed). I keyed in my code + off and the system disarmed (red light out). I now have complete control of the keypad.

It seem like when the sirens are sounding the keypad will not work to silence the sirens. Need to de-energize the panel to silence. Once sirens stop, keypad works normally.

Has anyone run across this problem or have any suggestions to fix the problem.

al

Old 06-11-24, 02:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Upvotes on 290 Posts
Please bear in mind that your hardware is 35 years old; and entropy does eventually affect electronics.

First easy thing to check is whether the door contact is actually working. They can, and do, get stuck in the closed position. Turn on the chime function and check all of your perimeter contacts.

It's quite possible that one of the keypads is starting to fail, and generating false commands back to the alarm control, it's equally possible that the alarm control itself is failing. All you can do is see if you can duplicate the incident. There's no magic bullet.

Old 06-11-24, 07:54 AM
C
Ron
Thanks for getting back to me.
I've done a little more troubleshooting and here's what I've found. Went into chime mode and all sensors are working fine. Battery reading 12.99V

I re-created exactly what happened yesterday. Here goes.

Alarm system is powered up on AC and battery is hooked up (normal setup)
I now pull AC feed to system. Now running on battery.
Normally on loss of AC power to my home Keypad will be beeping and display would read "AC LOSS".
Today instead of AC LOSS the display is beeping and reading "FAULT 02 AUDIO ALARM AUXILIARY"
Also when I go to the keypad to silence the beeping the keypad has no affect.
Now I go back to the panel and restore the AC power to the system.
Like yesterday when AC is restored the system re-arms and resets itself even though a door is open.

Never before saw the display "FAULT 02 AUDIO ALARM AUXILIARY" do you know what that would indicate?

al

Old 06-11-24, 09:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Hmmm
Do you have the type of siren that has to get 12v power constant? Some of those have contacts that can be connected to a zone that will trigger if the power is cut/fails.. Either that, or there is something attached to your system that monitors AC power.

What is attached to your zone 2 inputs?

Old 06-11-24, 02:01 PM
C
Ron
The sirens are 2 Ademco 719's (both work)
Zone 2 is a downstairs motion detector.

There is one other very strange thing that is happening. When I arm the system on any of the settings such as INSTANT, AWAY or STAY.......I then cut the AC power, the system is now being powered by the battery. Both the red and green lights are lit at the keypad indicating the system is still armed but I do not get the "AC Loss" on the display. As soon as I restore the AC power the system automatically switches modes from INSTANT, AWAY or STAY into MAXIMUM. When it switches to MAXIMUM it also kicks in the initial time delay at the front door. It seems for some reason it always defaults to MAXIMUM whenever I restore AC power to the system.

Old 06-11-24, 02:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
All this, put together leads me to suspect that the eeprom that contains the configuration, and controls all of this, is starting to break down. I think your system is running on borrowed time, at this point.

If it was me, I would go into system programming with a printed copy of the programming form from the installer manual, and record all the settings. Anything you replace it with is going to be pretty different, so you will need the reference to make anything new work similarly to your existing.

Old 06-15-24, 07:03 AM
C
Ron
I went into programming mode like you suggested and found one of the problems......"Power up in previous state" was enabled. I disabled it. So now when I power back up the system it does not automatically arm into maximum mode, it comes up as disarmed.

But, I also have some sort of drain on the battery. After allowing the system to sit overnight in normal state (plugged in and battery hooked up) Battery is reading 13.65 VDC. I unplug the AC power and leave battery hooked (system now on battery power) battery now reads 11.50 VDC. I disconnect battery from system and battery goes back to reading 13.65 VDC.

While on battery power only (11.50VDC) and system disarmed I started disconnecting zones one by one at the terminal strip in the alarm box.......no voltage rise or drop. I disconnected (+) wire from one of the keypads and battery voltage jumps back up to 13.00 VDC. I'm assuming that one keypad is drawing down the battery and might be faulty.

Do you think my assumption is correct? Would a keypad with the system in the disarmed state when disconnected cause my battery voltage to jump from 11.50v back up to 13.00v. Or do you think that I might have a bad battery?

Old 06-15-24, 07:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Given the age, you could easily have a failing keypad. Your step by step load elimination test certainly makes that a likely problem.

Batteries have a 3-5 year lifespan. Anything beyond that is really "borrowed time".

Old 06-15-24, 05:37 PM
C
Received 73 Upvotes on 65 Posts
BTW, I strongly recommend you not connect/disconnect Keypads while system is powered up. I know troubleshooting takes longer if you power down the system every time you connect/disconnect a KP, but doing it with power wires "hot" has zapped a LOT of KPs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: