Vista 20p ground

Old 06-19-24, 09:59 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vista 20p ground

I am installing a honeywell Vista 20p system in a metal media enclosure panel. Should I connect the ground terminal of the Vista 20p to the ground terminal my 3 prong grounded transformer? Should I also ground my metal media enclosure panel that houses the Vista 20p and its other security devices like power supply, zone expanders, etc? Will grounding my Vista 20p help protect my security system against lightning?

Old 06-19-24, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
We usually like to connect the panels ground to a building ground like a cold water pipe.
Many times due to location that's not possible.
Connecting to the ground terminal of the adapter is ok.

Additionally grounding metal cabinet and parts won't yield much more protection.
Grounding the panel helps protect it from static surges and minor lighting strikes in the area.
A direct lighting strike to your home, a nearby tree, a power pole or lines could cause system damage.

Old 06-19-24, 11:07 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you! I will ground my Vista 20p. Just to clarify, grounding my Vista 20p will give additional protection against lightning strikes? How much extra protection will it yield? I could either ground it to the Transformer ground or I could ground it to the copper water piping system. Which is a better option? Thanks

Old 06-19-24, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
The copper pipe ground is most effective as long as the entire system is copper.
A ground reduces the damage from a lightning strike but there is no guarantee there won't be damage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: