DSC Power 832 Alarm will not send signal

Old 12-10-01, 06:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy DSC Power 832 Alarm will not send signal

As stated I have a DSC 832 home alarm system that was installed for me two years ago. I have had more work done to this alarm than I care to remember costing me hundreds of dollars more in tech visits. The latest, is that I did a home security test and the monitoring company cannot pick up the telephone dial up signal, they show no alarm. I do get some strange warbling on my phone line that sounds like someone accidently phoned up a fax machine. I think my alarm system is making this sound. The new alarm company wants to send a tech over for a $100 initial visit.

Any advice?

Also still paying a monitoring fee for nada.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-02, 10:03 AM
Make sure the alarm is set up to dial the correct number. You should also not hear anything when the alarm is dialing, the "proper" setup is to install the alarm first, and then it will disconnect the rest of the phone lines. That way if a thief will pick up the phone and leave it off hook the alarm can simply hang up, clear the line and dial. At least that how I would install it. You may have a bad dialer also.

Old 01-03-02, 02:58 PM
Eagle77
Visiting Guest
no communication

If you have had a recent area code change in your area or in the area of the Central Station, it is possible that the call can not go thru. If you are hearing the dialing, then it is not properly connected to the phone line, but it should still work. You don't have line seizure. But since you do hear it dialing, you should hear a carrier signal from the Central Station when their computer answers. This is a handshake signal telling the alarm panel to begin it's transmission. If you don't hear this signal, then the call isn't going thru. It may need to be reprogrammed.

Eagle77

Old 01-29-02, 05:49 PM
tvstevie
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Inability for alarm panel communicator to connect to central station

Look at the main terminal strip on the 832 main board and find the terminals marked "T,R,T1 & R1". The "T & R" terminals bring the incoming phone line to your alarm communicator. The "T1 & R1" terminals return the phone line when the communicator is idle to the phone jacks in your house. The alarm installer should have installed a "RJ31X" phone jack at the alarm panel. This jack should have a pug that is connected to it that has a phone cable that leads to the "T, R, T1 & R1" terminals of the communicator. The green wire of the cable should connect to "T", the red wire should connect to "R", the grey wire should connect to "T1" and the brown wire should connect to "R1". This is the "standard"connecting scheme. If the RJ31X jack is properly wired you should be able to plug a single line phone into it and get dial tone. With a phone pugged into it all other phones in your house should be dead. Unplug your single line phone and dial tone should return to all other house phones. If these checks do not reveal the problem the next likely problem may be a surge or lightning damaged communicator (I have seen this occur on the 832). Look for small pencil eraser size discs with 2 wire leads soldered to the main pc board in the vincinity of the "T, R, T1, & R1" terminals. Many times if lightning damage has occurred thes disc shaped "MOV's" will be blackened in color. Only board replacement followed by reprogramming will correct the problem.