Wiring an Alarm System in an Apartment

Old 02-15-02, 01:00 PM
Bill2002
Visiting Guest
Wiring an Alarm System

Greetings,
I`m installing a wired alarm system in my apt. My plan is to run the sensor wire around the ceiling perimeter, with the wire coming down for each sensor. I intend to protect 2 doors and one window, possibly adding another window later.

My question is this:
What is the best method to secure the sensor wire to the ceiling? I was thinking of using some type of glue.

Thanks.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-02, 06:02 PM
ArchieBla96
Visiting Guest
Bill,
If you must expose the wire, maybe you might consider running it along the baseboard or even tucking it under the baseboard if you have carpet.
I don't think running it around the ceiling perimeter will look nice.

Archie

Old 02-20-02, 12:47 AM
Bill2002
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Archie. That`s a good suggestion. It should be a lot easier to install, too.

One more question: I have a video set-up (television, VCR, etc.) with several power cords already in this location. Also, a phone wire. Will these cause any problems for the sensor wire with interference.

Bill

Old 02-20-02, 01:03 AM
Bill2002
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Archie. That`s a good suggestion. It should be a lot easier to install, too.

One more question: I have a video set-up (television, VCR, etc.) with several power cords already in this location. Also, a phone wire. Will these cause any problems for the sensor wire with interference?

Bill

Old 02-24-02, 05:23 PM
ArchieBla96
Visiting Guest
I would not think that it would, but I am no expert in that field.

Old 03-05-02, 10:27 AM
DIY_MICHAEL
Visiting Guest
Bill,

My 2 cents...

It sounds like you want to do this right. You care about how it looks, it's an apartment that might be rented, and you want it expandable.

Have you thought about a wireless system?

There are a lot of smaller inexpensive systems today that might be worth it. If you have to move it's also a lot easier to take with you, not to mention the holes you would leave behind.

MG.