Faulty Zone/Adding Zones

Old 03-18-02, 02:05 PM
sergio caccese
Visiting Guest
Angry Zone default

I have an ADEMCO #4110, 8 zone system..

Everytime i enter the house the zone 4 is always tripped. Its at the piont where i have to bypass the zone or disconnect the wire to the panel, which has a little resistor attached to it.
What does this resistor do on the line?

This zone controls four windows...
How would i test the contacts?
These contacts are the same all over the house, but the problem occurs only on zone 4.
I think they run one wire and tapped on to four windows...
Should i run one new wire, or four? One for each window...
On this line i would like to add a contact to a new door that was recently installed.... with a 30 second delay....
Can i put it this zone or do i tap on the line for the front door..?
I would also like to add a motion...
I can run wires with little difficulty...
Thank you ...Sergio

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-02, 10:40 AM
DIY_MICHAEL
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Sergio,

If placed at the "end of line" (EOL), the resistor allows the panel to be certain of the integrity of a "normally closed" circuit. That way if the wire was short-circuited later on by a staple or nail, the panel would detect it. It adds just enough resistance to the circuit so the panel can detect normal current flow, or a complete short circuit. Some people place them directly at the panel, but it defeats the whole purpose.

Are you currently using all 8 zones of your current system? If not, put all the new accessories you want to add, on available zones, including maybe some of your original windows.

To troubleshoot your existing problem, get an inexpensive volt-ohm meter ($17) or continuity checker. Disconnect the wires at the panel, hook them up to the meter or buzzer, and open and close the windows and check the wiring in between for something that would cause an intermittent short.

MG.