Why pay for monitoring???

Old 03-29-02, 05:19 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Why pay for monitoring???

Okay, probably a "dumb" question. I have never owned a home security system in my life. But there has been a rash of burglaries in our neighborhood so we are considering one.

My question is... what good is paying for the offsite monitoring service? My understanding is that generally the signal goes to the security company, who then calls the police.

I live in Los Angeles where the police recently took 1.5 hours to get to my neighbor's house after she called 911 upon coming home to find her doors open and home burglarized. Will paying for a monitoring system be able to improve this response time? Or do some security companies send their own "police" right over?

Won't buying a non-monitored system with a loud siren to scare off burglars and notify neighbors serve my purposes just as well? You security folks out there wanna "sell" me on why I should pay more for the monitoring??? (Price really isn't an issue...I just want to understand what I'm paying for!)

Thanks!

Old 03-31-02, 04:33 PM
dylan925
Visiting Guest
Most homeowner insurance policies do not offer any discount for non-monitored systems but they do offer a discount for monitored ones. Seems like the bean counters in the insurance industry have figured it's worth it so...
Also monitored systems that include fire alarms offer the advantage of the fire department being called.

Would your neighbors really care if your exterior house alarm went off? It seems we are all pretty imune to all types of car and house alarms these days.

Old 04-12-02, 06:08 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
Bekka,

Hi! I know that laws differ from place to place, but in many counties here (Washington) any alarm, monitored or not - you are required to have an alarm permit. If you don't, you will be fined and the police will not respond to your alarm. You may want to check that out. We had a neighbors alarm go off, but without a permit and monitoring the police did not respond until we called and requested an officer. (25-30 mins) On the other hand, I closed a basement door too hard one day when the alarm was on, and set off a sensor. Our PD was here within 10 minutes even though I had already reset the alarm) Again areas differ as far as response time goes, but for us the lesson made the system worth it then and there.

As to the cost of monitoring, I wouldn't go without it. We live in a nice neighborhood, but have recently had three out of four neighbors move for various reasons. (no, not us! ) We sit on a corner and have a vacant lot behind us. Due to this, even if our alarm did go off, we don't have any neighbors to alert! Our system also has a 'hostage' setup so we can alert officials if we are forced to turn the alarm off (it sets a silent alarm), and we can call the police, fire department, and an ambulance right from our key-pad if we were to be without phone. (which we have been 3 times already in the past year!) On top of that, we also have glass break points in the house in key points which gives added protection on our ground level and basement. Going on (and on -lol) there are heat detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in the kitchen and garage - the latter to stem suicide attempts as well as general fire/leak protection.

We have 3 small children, and I feel a thousand times better knowing that at no one can get in to our house silently.

In the end for us the real feeling of security and knowing 'someone' is out there watching things we cannot see in the end far outweighs the cost of the monthly bill. (not to mention the homeowner's insurance break we get!!)

Sorry to ramble so, but I really have strong positive feelings about the benefits of a monitored system.

Old 04-15-02, 02:50 PM
B
Smile I like someone who feels strongly!

Thanks for your thoughts... we will consider to discuss. You raised some good points, 'Chelle. Thanks!

Old 04-17-02, 02:34 AM
spyros
Visiting Guest
In Greece, we use to monitor our alarm system by ourselves. That' s easy and costs a few euros only, let say about $80. We do that by installing on owr alarm system, a phone dialer. I am in security industry the last 5 years, and when someone wants me to install a security system, i install a control panel with communicator (such as FBII, Ademco etc) for future use, and also i install a telephone voice dialer with programmable phone numbers (up to 6 different phone numbers). When the alarm sounds, the dialer calls all that numbers, and leave the recorded (by me or by you) voice message. i.e. "This is an automatic security system dialer. Possible fire or burglary, at 222 Alarm str. in Boston area, etc........" I think that is the better way between monitored and not monitores systems. I hope i gave you an idea. Sorry for my English. They are not so good

Spyros Kintzonides
International Texecom registered Installer

Old 04-20-02, 10:54 AM
I am a systems integrator that provides security systems & monitoring. Many of our customers ask the same question, and some chose not to be monitored.
The points brought up in other posts are very good. I disagree on the voice dialer, as it requires someone to be at the other numbers and know what to do. It has it's place for some things, but in the U.S. is not used much anymore for security or fire alarms.
First, let me bring up fire alarms. If it is not part of your system, it should be. Most of us are not targets of professional thieves. We don't have expensive collections, or lots of cash in a safe. If the alarm siren doesn't scare off the amatuer buglar, they are after the electronics & jewely. Most of what they take will be covered by insurance.
But a fire takes the things you cannot replace. Jonny's handprint from kindergarten, trophy's and photos. Our memories.
The standard smoke detector is designed to wake you up & get you out. It does a very good job (as long as they are still working). But a system smoke detector (or heat) that is monitored will get the fire department on the way.

A second point. This just happened last week.
A customers alarm went off. By the time (30 minutes) he got home and reset the system, the police were back. They had found the back sliding glass door open about 6 inches, checked it out and left. They were back cause the alarm had gone off again. He locked up and went back to work. About 3 hours later, it goes off again. He gets home and the power is off. Call the utuility company and waits. 2 hours later he calls them again, and they say the system shows power to the house. He should check the breaker at the meter, which they explain where to look. He goes outside and finds the disconnect pulled and a back gate is open, that is usually not. His wife was out of town at the time, but her car was there.
1. Sounds like someone wanted in and didn't know much about alarms and battery back up.
2. They probably know them. And he does have some things most of us don't, such as a large music collection. And his house is not viewable from the road.
3. Without monitoring, they would be burglars would probably have been successful.

We have rural customers, and they have waited an hour or longer for a response from the Sheriff's dept. But I personally would rather know someone is probably coming if I need help.
Also, we call a list of people you provide us, so your neighbor may at least witness something.

Good luck

Old 07-10-05, 12:22 PM
realwomble
Visiting Guest
Resurrecting an old thread.

Currently on point of installing a new system in my new home (Concord)

However... on all new construction, the phone lines are just sitting there at ground level outside the house, at best in a plastic tube, but mostly some portion of the phone cable is exposed.

So what is the point of monitoring, other than fire, given this fact? Are thieves really dumb enough not to cut the phone line?

Obviously cell/radio monitoring link makes sense, but I assume costs significantly more?

Old 07-10-05, 01:23 PM
1st of all, you should definitely have an exterior siren. This is typically a 30 watt horn, either a self contained siren for use with a 12 volt bell or alarm output (typically 1 amp or more), or a siren speaker, which takes a siren driver output. I believe the Concord has a 12 volt output. It takes an amp to drive the self contained sirens.

This siren is generally not actually "outside", but rather in an attice eave or gable vent, or sometimes a basement vent. This prevents anyone from seeing it, and defeting it. So, if your line is cut, the siren can still sound and hopefully alert your neighbors.

You can also put telephone line monitors or tamper the line into the phone box, so the siren will sound before the break-in. Line monitors will go off "falsely" anytime the phone is out, though. There are also tampered steel boxes and steel raceway to put over your phone box. Program these for trouble while disarmed, so the phone company can work on them.

Cell or wireless backups will run over $200 for the equipment, and about $15.00 a month extra.

Is monitoring worth it. Yes. If your house is expensive, your insurance will be also. You will save 5% to 15% depending on you insurance company. Also, to me, the fire is the most important.

Think about this:
If your home is broken into, the theives will likely take your electronics, jewelry, cash, financial information and checks. If you five them the time, maybe some art, etc. Most of this will be a hassle, but you insurance company and some money & time will replace most of it.

If your home catches on fire, the smoke detectors (any kind) are designed to wake your butt up, and get you out. This is great if you're home.
But what if you home and your children are seperated from you by the fire.
What if you're not home? How long before someone realizes your home is on fire. How can you replace you heirlooms? Jr's 6 year old handprint. The trophies. Wedding photos, and pictures of your late grandpa or mom? You can't! Fire takes things that cannot be replaced.

Also, read my earlier posts on this subject.

That's my 2 cents.

Don't forget, program your sirens to stop after 2 or 4 minutes, or at least 10. You don't want to come home from dinner, to find your irritated neighbors on your porch with a shotgun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: