Smoke Det. Sounds When Showering

Old 05-31-02, 02:17 PM
cottageSteve
Visiting Guest
Question Shower alarm

I have a monitored home security system and my fire detector and attic siren goes off when the shower runs.

The detector is in the hallway outside the bathroom, the door is open 6-8 inches, and the exhaust fan is on. I figure that a 5 to 10 minute shower shouldn't trigger my fire detector. The door is normally closed, but on the occasion that it is open, our neighbourhood is alerted to my shower usage.

Any suggestions...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-02, 06:37 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
get

a stronger exhaust fan. The $%^##s that built my condo decided that it was a great idea to install a smoke detector in front of the bathroom door. Shower with the door open = alarm.

It's a small bathroom (5x11) and I installed a 100cfm nutone exhaust fan when I had the bathroom renovated. Now I can shower for an hour with the door wide open and the smoke detector stays quiet. The bonus is that there is no condensation in the bathroom afterwards.

Old 06-16-02, 07:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Poor location for an alarm

You should definitely have a more powerful bathroom vent. And, have the service relocate the detector.

I once lived in an apartment that had the smoke detector on the wall by the kitchen stove. Every time I opened the oven door, the alarm went off. I always had to fan the alarm with the kitchen towel. To say the least, I didn't use the oven very often. But, your showers are a more serious problem.

Old 06-21-02, 09:47 AM
TomBrooklyn
Visiting Guest
This has more to do with the exhaust fan than the alarm, but I was wondering if a bathroom exhaust fan is vented to the ceiling, not outdoors, if the moisture from shower condensation going into the ceiling can promote mold growth up there?

Old 06-21-02, 12:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing bathroom vent

Answer: Yes

http://www.homestore.com/Home_Improv...ngBathVent.asp