Separating Looped Zones

Old 06-22-02, 07:24 PM
Tom173
Visiting Guest
Point Detection

I have an alarm system that is fairly old and I want to replace it. My only problem is that I have 5 zones, each zone having several points wired together, in other words when I have a problem I may have to check 5 different windows. How can I use my existing wiring and have point identification.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-02, 10:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In this instance you have to make sure first of all you can separate your zones. Do you have what we call "home run" wires on each opening? In other words, do you have a separate wire for each opening, or are they looped together (runs from one opening to the next.) The best way to tell this is to look inside the panel and see how many wires are connected to each zone terminal, then count the number of openings. You can only have the number of zones that you have wires. Secondly, you will probably have to upgrade your panel's zone capacity by installing a zone expander. As I don't know what panel you are talking about, I don't know how many zones you have or how many you can add. Lastly, you will have to program all your additions and zones.