Help I Botched It Big Time!

Old 02-15-06, 05:26 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help I Botched It Big Time!

Well here is a little history.
At 18 I started working in a factory building cabinets for 4 misserable years from early 99 to late 03. Now I hated working in this factory, not because of physical work, that was actually one of the only good things was all the fast paced hard work. No it was the factory like 6000 of the same part a day monotany that killed me mentaly and emotionaly 8 hours a day 5 days a week for 4 years straight. Im telling you this so that you may not be too harsh on me when I tell you how I left. I finally decided it was time to break into construction which I've wanted to work in for some time. So being the stupid dumb kid I was I started slacking in my work, missed a lot of time and finally left and didnt come back. Now I felt great I was free, free to find any job I liked. One BIG PROBLEM!! that factory job was basicly the only job I ever had, and I in my infinite stupidity burned every bridge I had. My work was bad at the end, when the head of HR pulled me aside to ask if I needed any kind of help with anything in my personal life I blew him off breezily, and worst of all I never gave notice. I went home one day and never went back, I even ignored 3 attempts on there part to get me back. I was free and feeling better then Id ever felt in years. and soon broke. FYI yes I was going through some personal problems at the time, and after I left. I can now confidently say that its all sorted out and I wiill probably never have a Jerry Mcguire moment again wether my own fault or not. MY FREAK OUT IS DONE lol. And hindsight being 20/20 (10/10 in my case) I relize I didnt even have to leave to fix me. Anyway on to the problem. I quite in oct 03, since then I have worked for many various companies in construction, but not for long. The problem is this, as my resume now stands I have the factory work from 99-03 and then I have one company I worked for in early 04 which was the first construction job Ive worked. The rest have either been less then a weeks work here and there that I dont want to put on or they have (twice) wanted me off the books and wont give me a referance or like some that i worked for for only a few days wanted to give me a referance but ( as i recently found out) are unreliable because when called dont remember me. (by the way that first one I worked for in early 04 for 4 months, the owner does not remember me either and I cannot track down the crew foreman I worked for onsite.) I now have an almost 2 year gap in my work history. This gap has come up at several interviews and while ive comented on how construction is tough to get into without family or friends in the trade (which is how most of the people I've worked with have gotten started) and that I have had a few on and off employers who dont want me on the books or to referance them, I still have the feeling that this gap is my biggest problem in getting a job. I know its not a skill thing, I know my trade and am absolutly in love with carpentry. Ive been told time and again how good I am despite only being in it for less then 2 years. I's it possible they all lied? I dont know, I do know that when I hated my job I couldnt get out of it and now that I have a burning need to build every day I cant get enough work. This winter was particularly bad with less then 30 days actual work between nov and Jan with 2 companies. but its having a week off here and a week off there in the summer when I shouldnt have any time at all that is getting me. I dont know if anyone can help with this work history problem. but I thanks anyone who stops to mull over my dilema for there time.

Old 02-15-06, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 173 Upvotes on 135 Posts
A few questions:

1. Are you a high school graduate?
2. Do you have a clean police record?
3. Are you drug-free?

The Navy's Seabees (Construction Battalion) are always hiring. But a word of warning; the Armed Forces aren't for everyone plus there are a lot of Seabees serving in the Middle East.

Just something to think over.

Old 02-15-06, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with tow guy. The military will give you a fresh start. My step-son was in the Seabees for 8 years. He learned a lot and grew up a lot. He got out for stupid reasons and is now thinking about going back in.
Your pevious employers may not remember you for "lack of wanting to". The laws now prevent employers from saying too much about you, so they can get even by saying nothing or denying you even worked for them. Pay stubs are the only way around that one. When you get older, you will learn how they get around being sued for age discrimination.
Check out the military. Enlistment bonuses are big now and you can get the field you want to. Good luck.

Old 02-15-06, 09:59 AM
the_tow_guy and Majakdragon,

Good suggestion - I was in the Seabees for almost 8 years - never regretted it but was disappointed when medical reasons made short my military career. I had enlisted for 4 years and re-enlisted for 6 years. I was serious about what I was doing and honored by serving our country.

I did enjoy it but there are commitments to everything - here however, you must meet the demands or suffer the consequesnces.

Anyone thinking of the military as a career is AOK in my book. Granted there are risks but the experience and travel can be very rewarding.

Alternatives would be join the Reserves and try and find a job that you really enjoy. Sometimes an employer would be willing to give you that job at a reduced pay rate until you show you have something to offer. Make the offer if you really want that construction job.

Just some thoughts

Old 02-15-06, 11:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
If the military's not for you, try an employment agency. The employers don't often care too much about your history and you can sometimes catch on as a permanent employee by doing good work as a temp.

Old 02-15-06, 03:19 PM
J
Location Location Location

Thanks everyone for your replies but I live in Ontario Candada as it says right beside my name.

Yes I once considered joining the Canadian Armed Forces but given the state of them I decided against it. I dont fancy runing around the desert with jungle fatiges on.

Yes I am registered with several employment agencies and exept for "Manpower" they never call. Manpower gets me the odd job in factories but they are all slowly closing in my area.

I just really need to know if anyone has any ideas on how to approach or explain this almost 2 year gap in my work history.

And to answer the_tow-guy
1. Yes
2. yes
3. I DID'NT KNOW THEY WERE FREE!!!
ohum...........please explain more about this "free-drug"

(just in case someone doesnt get it that was a joke)

Old 02-15-06, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
How about this idea?

Joe,

If you were doing well at the beginning of your furniture factory job, what about walking into their human resources department and asking them for a job.
If they have a progressive HR department and were originally willing to help you through your personal problems, there is a chance that they might hire you back.
Furniture factories often have a fairly high turnover of staff and there is a possibility they might take a chance on you.
If you walk in there with a positive attitude, admit to having HAD problems and are now ready for work, their response may be a surprise.
It would take a lot of guts on your part but you really have nothing to loose.

Old 02-15-06, 05:45 PM
Joe,

Sorry for not realizing you lived in Canada.

Greg's advice is worth a shot!!

Good Luck!

Old 02-15-06, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 173 Upvotes on 135 Posts
Shame on you, Doug; my excuse is that I thought he was in Ontario, CALIFORNIA (USA).

And the retired Marine in me was gritting his teeth while recommending the Navy, so that's why I missed it.

Old 02-15-06, 06:43 PM
tow guy,

Oh thanks! I'll have you know that Seabees and Marines are always together, at least when I was in, many moons ago!

Granted, it's Navy but a very Special part of the Navy.

It's Ok, I won't grit my teeth because you are a Marine. We all are part of a TEAM!

Old 02-15-06, 07:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 721 Upvotes on 632 Posts
Having been in the painting trade all my life it has been my experience that if you go to the job interview ready for work, act and look like you know your trade if they have an opening it is likely they will give you a shot. Don't wait on an ad to approach a company for a job. Go to their offices and jobsites, let them know you are willing and able to work. Most construction companies are different in their hiring practices than big corporations. First impression usually carries more weight than a paper trail history. Knock on doors, unless the economy is dead or you look like a leper, you will get hired.

Wish you luck with your job hunt. Remember the hardest lessons learned are always the longest ones remembered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: