Logistics of installing Central Heat/Air?

Old 08-26-02, 08:58 AM
Namuna
Visiting Guest
Logistics of installing Central Heat/Air?

My FiancÚ and I want to buy a 'fixer upper' house. The house has an Air Conditioner in the Living Room and Bedroom and a few floor heat radiators taking up space in awkward places, so right off the bat we want to put in Central Air.

Can anyone give me some details as to what's involved with installing Central Heat/Air?

Thank you!

Old 08-26-02, 11:44 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are too many options for me to lists. Do you want the least expensive? If you intend to do the plumbing, do it first. What fuels are available and which do you prefer, oil, gas or electric? If you live in an area or you prefer cooling a lot, you may want separate heating and coolng systems. Cost more, but both systems work better and last longer.

Central heating and cooling systems in a combination package is usually configured as followed;

1. AIR HANDLER contains
a) heat exchanger
b) cooling coil (unless heat pump, where heat exchanger and cooling coil are the same)
c) blower motor
d) air filtration system (normally filter)
e) humidifier

2. SUPPLY DUCTWORK

3. RETURN DUCTWORK

All FORCED AIR systems are the most expensive system to install in old construction and the least expensive in new construction.

Old 08-26-02, 12:04 PM
Namuna
Visiting Guest
Thanks for responding resercon.

As to some of the questions...

The combination package is what I'd go with. About what 'ballpark' figure am I looking at?

Old 08-26-02, 12:32 PM
R
Based on the information you gave me, anywhere between $10,000. to $20,000. On the low end if the home is a single story and average size, with a flue system already present. On the high end, multi-story home, larger than average, no flue system and in some cases, it could exceed $20,000.

Old 08-26-02, 04:56 PM
Namuna
Visiting Guest
Just to be clear here, I'm a COMPLETE boob when it comes to all the terminology...I'm only assuming/guessing that by 'flue system' you mean some form of ventilation system (like ducts)?

No, the only ventilation this place I'm referring to has is windows.

The flue/ducts and such would all have to be installed. I would describe the house as a 'railroad' 3-story. That is to say, it's long and narrow (like a railroad or train) and has 3 stories.

It does have a good amount of storage areas in the corners of many of the walls...My thinking is the Supply/Return Ductwork could be installed in those storage areas.

...Then again, as I said I know nothing and for all I know I'm talkin outta my butt.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-02, 08:28 PM
R
The flue system is a pipe and/or chimney to exhaust the gases from an oil or gas heating system out of the house.

One of the problems I ran into with this type of housing is the law dictates that every room must have a supply vent and large rooms may require 2. The rooms in the middle were difficult to run supply vents to, especially on the middle floor. This is going to run up the cost of the system.

Also you should look around your neighborhood for similar houses. It has been my experience that with similar type of housing when a combination unit was installed, you will find air conditioners sticking out of the 3rd floor windows. In other words, the combination unit is not capable to cool the 3rd floor.

Old 08-30-02, 06:05 AM
Lightbulb Buy TWO units

One for the top floor and one for the bottom.
Look inot hydro air, I assume you have a boiler now.
The boiler can be used to heat a coil in the ductwork (works like a car heater) saving the cost of purchasing frunaces.
You would only have to buy 2 air handlers and 2 condensing units.
The single package unit will NEVER keep the upstairs comfortable, too long of a duct run is required.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: