Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Awning windows

Visiting Guest

09-30-02, 09:04 PM   #1  
fireweedfour
Awning windows

I'm lookng at upgrading the very old weather stripping around my 20 year old awning windows.

Is there a better type of weather stripping? There seem to be a variety of materials. And how thick? 3/8 or 1/2".

Rob

Sponsored Links

NJ

10-01-02, 09:22 AM   #2  
You can go to http://doityourself.com/store/weatherstripping.htm and view the different kinds of weather-stripping and their price ranges. You can even order it from there.

It has been my experience with awning windows, for that matter all types of windows and doors, is that weather-stripping usually does not provide a good solution for windows and doors. In most cases, it was the maintenance of the window or door that mattered more. With awning windows it was either the hinge, the window stop, the latch/lock and/or the mechanism that was used to close and open the window that was the problem.

A lot of times people inadvertently force an awning window closed without realizing there is something obstructing the window from closing. An example a small twig stuck beween the window jamb and window. Depending on how much force one applies to closing the window, it sometimes bends the hinge out of place. Another cause is the screws on the hinge came loose. Both are relatively simple to correct.

With window stops, it is usually dirt or debris that is obstructing the window from closing tightly. Cleaning this area on a regular basis is well worth it, especially if you use this window a lot.

Latches/locks usually wear down after a few years, especially if you use them a lot. What window latches actually do besides lock the window closed is make the closing tight. If you look at the latch closely, you'll see that it is designed in a way to pull the window shut. Again very simple to correct and in some cases it may be as simple as tightening the screws on the latch.

The mechanisms that either hold the window open or are attached to a screw mechanism to open and close are frequently neglected. These scissor lever arms can be easily bent out of position and even worse is they are never cleaned and/or oiled. The seats and/or pockets these levers retract into are never cleaned. Again, all this is very simple to correct.

Weather-stripping is designed to replace worn weather-stripping or to take up gaps created by wood shrinkage. It does not work well if the window is not maintained.

Visiting Guest

10-01-02, 07:46 PM   #3  
fireweedfour
Awning Windows

Well... Thanks! I didn't even consider that maintenance would play such an important role. We have purchased this home just this past summer and found that the previous owner didn't do any preventative maintenace. As an example, when they painted the walls in the dinning room and the bedroom they didn't paint behind the hutch or the dresser! Therefore I suspect that maintenance has not been done on any of the windows.

Thanks for your input.

Rob

Search this Thread