Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Caulking around foundation/ cedar siding

Visiting Guest

10-29-02, 06:37 AM   #1  
the_betsy1
Caulking around foundation/ cedar siding

We had some roof work , windows done. Also cedar siding replaced, on two sides.

I noticed they didn't caulk anything. I've been doing the windows, but what should I use on the edge of the house, at the bottom to keep rain water, ants, etc out.

We don't have gutters, and this side of the house is close to the ground. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

NJ

10-31-02, 05:48 AM   #2  
The way shingles are installed should keep the majority of water from the structure. Under the shingles either building felt or house wraps are installed to further prevent water from getting to the structure. Around windows and doors, flashing is used at the top and the sides and bottom the building felt or house wrap.

At the bottom of the shingles anywhere they are installed, you should not caulk. The reason for it is that you don't want to trap water behind the shingles. Caulking can be applied to the sill. This is the wood member that lays on the foundation wall and the wall is built above it. By your description, you don't have access to it from the outside. If you do have access from the inside the house you can caulk it from there. You caulk where the masonry meets the wood. For the cornors of the house, if the shingles were installed correctly, you shouldn't have to caulk. Also, building felt or house wraps should be there to prevent water from getting to the structure.

Search this Thread