Insulating tin roofing

Old 08-11-03, 05:23 PM
LWHiway
Visiting Guest
Talking Insulating tin roofing

I have an out-building/shop, 28' deep X 80' wide. The roof has a fairly flat pitch with the ridge at only 14' tall with either side sloping to a reasonable height of 7' at each walls end.

I'll be recovering the roof over the next few weeks/months with "corrugated zinc tin", which will be fastened to laths, which in turn are sitting on 2x6 rafters.

My question is on using an insulating material to be placed underneath the laths between the rafters, exposed to sight while standing inside the building.

I was thinking of using a styrofoam sheeting of 1" thickness or better with a foil covering on each side. Attaching is not the problem.

My concern is wether moisture would be allowed to form between the tin and insulated board and cause corrosion to advance untimely.

Due to the air gap created by the thickness of the laths running across the rafters, would this be a plus to reducing moisture build up as the building cools and/or warms from night to day hours?

I have no intentions of using a batted type of fiber rolled insulation as used in attics, nor do I want to use a sprayed-on/applied insulation type of foam.

Appreciation in advance for just reading.

LW Hiway

Last edited by LWHiway; 08-11-03 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-11-03, 06:05 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
http://www.naima.org/pages/resources...tml/BI458.HTML This site discusses ventilation and on the right margin there is a link for metal buildings. They also discusss insulation specifically designed for metal buildings.

The wood slats along with the configuration of the tin roof will allow free movement of air. The problem is air allowed to leave and enter this area through vents or some other means. If the air is trapped between the insulation and the tin roof, then the potential for condensation occuring is high. the perimeter of the roof appears to be where the solution is. You can install a drip edge around the perimeter and at the same time they can be vents for this area.

Old 08-11-03, 06:08 PM
LWHiway
Visiting Guest
That is exactly what my thinking was. There will be some venting allowed at either side.

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: