brown bleeding thru?

Old 11-24-03, 11:10 AM
bozzman2000
Visiting Guest
brown bleeding thru?

I live in a small house(900sq ft). Every year brown starts bleeding thru the ceilings starting with the outer walls by the moldings, eventually covering the whole ceiling. We are smokers, however this brown does not wash off and doesn`t appear to be from smoking. I`ve tried every kind of paint including kilz and all products like it and the brown still comes thru after awhile. Any ideas what might be causing it and what i can do to stop it? thx

here are some pictures

http://www.bozzodrivers.com/brown/ceilings.html

Last edited by bozzman2000; 11-24-03 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-25-03, 08:09 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First you should go into the attic, if there is access and inspect the ceiling there. What you are looking for is dampness or anything on top of the ceiling that maybe causing this problem. You want to take a good strong light with you.

Old 11-26-03, 12:56 PM
bozzman2000
Visiting Guest
Thanks, would inadequate insulation do it? Also i noticed the bathroom fan exhausts directly into attic,Problem?

Old 11-26-03, 08:07 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
More than likely the bathroom exhaust is the source of the problem. I would recommend you attach a duct to the exhaust fan and lead the duct to the outside. Do not lead the duct to a roof, gable and/or eave vent and expect the moisture to get out of the attic. The exhaust must go through the gable wall or soffit to be effective.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: