can lights

Old 12-30-03, 09:20 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
can lights

my home is two years old and has can lights throughout. the ones in the closets seem to go through bulbs often and will get hot and go off for a while, then start working again. also, you can feel a draft through them when changing the bulbs. i am loosing alot of heat and am concerned about them getting too hot. is this normal, or did they use the wrong type or cheap fixtures? someone said i need the insullated type and that the non-insullated type have a heat sensor to keep them from causing a fire. we leave the closet lights on for the kids at night and the heat thing concerns me. what do you all think. thanks.

Old 12-30-03, 03:03 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You are correct in your assumptions. The next time you go to the hardware store look in the lighting section of the different kinds of can lights. IC rated can lights are much different than those that are not. The first thing that you will notice are the slots in the can lights that are not IC rated. If you were to go into your attic when these lights are turned on downstairs, you will see the attic is illuminated from light coming through these slots in the canisters.

The heat sensor is there for your benefit and to prevent a fire. At least you know it working. Incandescent lights last about 1000 hours. So if you are leaving this light on at night, which means it is on much longer than the other lights in the house, you will change this light more frequently.

You could change the fixture to an IC rated can light, or you could install a compact fluorescent light bulb in the can light. They last 10,000 hours or ten times longer than incandescent bulbs. You could change the fixture to a surface mounted fixture, which in my opinion is better for a closet than a can light. Anything that you choose will be better than what you have now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: