caulking??????????

Old 09-30-04, 04:07 PM
pattron
Visiting Guest
caulking??????????

We have a vinyl siding and windows, without any caulking. We also live near a cattle farm, that has alot of flies and they are trying to get into our house. Every day, I'm catching dozens of flies and I'm sure, they're going between the windows and siding. I was told we can't caulk the windows, for fear of siding sweating underneath. Is that true?

Old 09-30-04, 06:59 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Siding just like steep roofing systems are water shedding systems. What this means is that wind driven rain will manage to get behind the siding. Behind the siding there is a drainage plane, usually building felt or Tyvec or similar product. The siding is installed in such a way to allow for this moisture to drain away from the structure. Caulking of the seams or joints of the siding can prohibit this moisture from draining away from the structure. Hence it might or increase the probability of a moisture problem by caulking.

With that said, you can caulk on the inside of the house. Such as around the moldings on windows or anywhere inside the house where you might think the insects are entering the house.

Old 10-09-04, 06:53 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Caulking

You can caulk around interior of window & door frames. Make sure windows and doors properly seal when closed. Make sure all vent openings are screened. Puff powdered insecticide into cracks where insects find their way. Fly swats and traps may be necessary. Thank goodness winter is coming.

Old 10-27-04, 05:24 AM
julie53
Visiting Guest
I have exactly the same question. But I'm confused by the two responses; Resercon- no don't caulk exterior of window, Twelvepole- yes you can caulk exterior window.

am I misreading something?

Old 10-27-04, 06:44 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Twelvepole and I agree that you can caulk the INSIDE around the windows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: