Thermostat setting

Old 10-15-04, 07:29 PM
DANR
Visiting Guest
Question Thermostat setting

We have a cabin in northern Minnesota that we keep heated all winter long. The past few winters we have kept the thermostat at 50 when we are not there. Do we dare lower the temp to around 45 or will we be risking some structural damage?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-04, 09:58 AM
The only real concern with heating a cabin during the winter would be water freezing. If you shut off all the water to the cabin and winterize all you water appliances, there will be little or no chance of damage. As far as structural damage to the cabin due to freezing temperatures, it is unlikely without water.

Old 10-17-04, 11:18 AM
Wink

Ill go the other way here. After all the the years in the cold. Had one all fixed so could drain all the water lines . When came back to it. Some drywall seams tape had come off. Had floor tile , it shrunk just a little but you could see it. After looking after many homes at the lake for the winter for many years . Keep the heat on say at 50o.Do turn water off and drain all lines Also any kitchen cabinets on out side walls, let all doors open Also any closet's ,let the doors open. When you know what to look for. You can tell right away if the home has no heat in it in the winter. Its very hard on them with no heat.

ED

Old 10-18-04, 08:30 AM
DANR
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. I had heard about the things you mention Ed when a house sits unheated all winter, that's why I was concerned about how cool we could leave it. We do have a 'Freeze Alarm' that will call us if the temp drops to 40. Since we usually get there at least once a month in the winter, we shut off the water but don't drain the lines.

DAN

Old 10-18-04, 09:59 AM
Wink

DO TURN OFF the water when you leave and try to drain what you can. As I said let the cabinet doors open. Have had water pipes freeze up with heat in the home. Also very cold and wind come from one side of the home for long time .Water pipes away from out side wall still freeze up . When no one is around.
Just what I have ran onto.

ED