Sealing French Doors From Drafts

Old 11-13-04, 05:44 AM
jim1504
Visiting Guest
Sealing French Doors From Drafts

I've been having a difficult time finding a solution to drafts coming through two French double doors. The doors are not sitting flush against the weatherstripping and I cannot seem to adjust them so they sit flush. When I push the doors against the weatherstripping by hand at the top of the door then a good seal is made (may be slight warpage - doors are about 6 years old).

Anyone have any ideas as far as how I can adjust them. Also, since I can use alternate doors for exit, would it be a good idea to use shrink film if I could find film to cover the full two doors?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-04, 01:02 PM
Since it's not your main exit, the quickest and least expensive fix is to install a slide bolt at the top inside of the door. Push the door against the weatherstripping and engage the slide bolt.

Old 11-13-04, 02:34 PM
jim1504
Visiting Guest
That's a very good idea johnam, thanks!!

Originally Posted by johnam
Since it's not your main exit, the quickest and least expensive fix is to install a slide bolt at the top inside of the door. Push the door against the weatherstripping and engage the slide bolt.

Old 11-13-04, 04:26 PM
I would look at the door itself to determine the appropriate course of action. Stand away from the door and look at the gap between the door and the frame. It should be uniform, but in your case I am almost certain that you will notice the gap between the hinged side of the doors will be larger at the top and narrower at the bottom. Between the two doors, you will notice that the gap is narrower at the top and wider at the bottom.

This is a very common problem with doors. Weather-stripping will not function properly on a door that is not plumb. The way to plumb a door is fairly simple. Open the door and put a wedge under the knob side of the door. Lift up on the knob and at the same time look at the hinge. If the hinge moves then the screws are loose. If so, then take a level and plumb the door by moving the wedge under the door. Once the door is plumb, take two tooth picks and dip them in wood carpenters glue. Remove a screw at a time from the and insert the tooth picks. Cut off the pieces that protrude and re-insert the screw. You do not have to wait for the glue to set up but you should check plumb after each screw is done.

If the screws are not loose, then your frame is out of square. The way that you determine it is by measuring 3 inches from the side jamb along the top jamb and marking it. Then measure 4 inches down from the top jamb on the side jamb and marking it. The distance diagonally from the two marks should be 5 inches. If not, then the frame is not square and the doors cannot be plumb in an opening that is not.

First determine if the top and side jambs are level and plumb with a level. Also look for gaps between the level and the jambs, when the level is flush up against the jamb. If there are gaps between the level and the jamb, then the jamb is bowed. Take a 2x4 and put is agaist the jamb and hammer lightly on the high spots until the level is flush agaist the jamb with no gaps. A low spot is where there are gaps and a high spot is where there is no gaps. Do a little at a time and check frequently to see if you removed the gaps. Then check for square by using the 3,4 and 5 measurement. This takes some practice but fairly easy to learn.

Old 11-14-04, 02:15 PM
jim1504
Visiting Guest
Thanks a million resercon, my hinges were loose!!

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by resercon
I would look at the door itself to determine the appropriate course of action. Stand away from the door and look at the gap between the door and the frame. It should be uniform, but in your case I am almost certain that you will notice the gap between the hinged side of the doors will be larger at the top and narrower at the bottom. Between the two doors, you will notice that the gap is narrower at the top and wider at the bottom.

This is a very common problem with doors. Weather-stripping will not function properly on a door that is not plumb. The way to plumb a door is fairly simple. Open the door and put a wedge under the knob side of the door. Lift up on the knob and at the same time look at the hinge. If the hinge moves then the screws are loose. If so, then take a level and plumb the door by moving the wedge under the door. Once the door is plumb, take two tooth picks and dip them in wood carpenters glue. Remove a screw at a time from the and insert the tooth picks. Cut off the pieces that protrude and re-insert the screw. You do not have to wait for the glue to set up but you should check plumb after each screw is done.

If the screws are not loose, then your frame is out of square. The way that you determine it is by measuring 3 inches from the side jamb along the top jamb and marking it. Then measure 4 inches down from the top jamb on the side jamb and marking it. The distance diagonally from the two marks should be 5 inches. If not, then the frame is not square and the doors cannot be plumb in an opening that is not.

First determine if the top and side jambs are level and plumb with a level. Also look for gaps between the level and the jambs, when the level is flush up against the jamb. If there are gaps between the level and the jamb, then the jamb is bowed. Take a 2x4 and put is agaist the jamb and hammer lightly on the high spots until the level is flush agaist the jamb with no gaps. A low spot is where there are gaps and a high spot is where there is no gaps. Do a little at a time and check frequently to see if you removed the gaps. Then check for square by using the 3,4 and 5 measurement. This takes some practice but fairly easy to learn.