Weatherstripping Old Sliding Glass Doors

Old 02-15-05, 01:16 PM
mountainmama
Visiting Guest
Weatherstripping Old Sliding Glass Doors

Moved into 1972 house with 5 drafty sliding glass doors. I think they're aluminum. Most leaky at bottom corners and the long vertical strip where the stationary glass and moving glass meet. Is it possible to peel off old weatherstripping and buy and install new? I thought I might be able to caulk in the corners where the vertical and horizontal weatherstrips meet, but I'm not sure this is the best long-term solution. Any suggestions?

Old 02-18-05, 07:28 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.randysurleymfg.com/stripping.htm

This site shows some products that you might be able to use.

Old 11-02-05, 04:09 PM
Myoriah
Visiting Guest
May Be Able To Buy Replacement Weatherstripping

I have been trying to find an answer to your question for my own use as right now I can not afford to replace the patio doors with more energy efficient ones. The weatherstripping needed as far as I know is not readily available at most places where you buy normal home weatherstripping products so would have to try to find probably an industrial outlet. A friend of mine had his sliding door weatherstripped by the electrical company a few years ago but unfortunately no one seems to know what products was used.

My only suggestion is to install insulated drapes if you can find some across the door if you do not want to put plastic over them. Or you could do what I did which is hinge two sets of bi-fold doors together and hinge them to the inside casing. (The doors may need to be trimmed for the width if you can not find doors the right width) Now I cover the patio door during the night, when the wind blows, etc. with the bi-fold doors. I still have access to the door so can enter in and out when needed. LOL! since the one door is in the hallway visitors think it is another closet instead of a door to the outdoors. The bi-fold doors have made a big difference as far as the comfort level. Especially since I live in an area where the wind blows a lot.

Myoriah

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: