Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

outside wood furnace?

Visiting Guest

05-28-05, 06:34 AM   #1  
bobcat007
outside wood furnace?

just found a site and it looks real but sounds too simple to work. anyone use one of these heaters? Lil house heater?
www.outsidewoodheater.com is the website.

Bobcat007

Sponsored Links

NJ

05-28-05, 09:27 AM   #2  
Actually this has been around for sometime. The first time I saw one was in 1970 in Sweden. In fact they are far more efficient than this one. The most common type in Europe is a radiant system for kitchens.

Super Moderator

CANADA

05-28-05, 11:15 AM   #3  
I would advise you to run, not walk away from this one.

The first and main problem I see is that there doesn't appear to be proper approvals.
They first say "UL tested burner" and further down they say "Burner tested to U.L. Standards by R.F. Geisser and Associates".
Even if the burner is tested that doesn't mean that it is approved for the installation in a dwelling.
And furthermore, their claim that this unit can be used in a mobile home isn't backed up with evidence of the more stringent approvals that are required for this use.

Take a peek at their photos and you will see what looks like a common fuel drum as a firebox!!!

Besides the inneficiency of how this thing works if there is a fire in your house the only thing that can be guaranteed about their unit is not having any insurance.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Visiting Guest

05-28-05, 11:40 AM   #4  
bobcat007
Decided to call the guy

Called the guy and talked to him.......he is believable I think.... has been selling them for over 18 years and has sold 500 himself.........or he says.... He also said that they are covered by insurance... never had a problem with that..... They are made near St. Louis.

The website says it will have snow on it in the winter.........after talking to him I can believe it.......he is heating a double wide mobile approx 1800 sq ft........

I am going to consider this unit......price is right xxxxxx and he can ship it to me.

It is simple, cheap , and I now believe it works..........

He even has a "heatercam" showing the one hooked to his house....

Bobcat007

Last edited by GregH; 05-28-05 at 12:49 PM.

Super Moderator

CANADA

05-28-05, 12:48 PM   #5  
Bobcat007,

I view of your response to what I have pointed out, I can only assume that you have an interest in this company and are trying to promote these heaters.

The fact that the "owner says he has insurance" further makes my point that these units do not have proper approval for the use they are advertising.
It is quite likely he has personal liability insurance against being sued.

It is very easy for someone who works with this kind of equipment on a professional level to separate testimonials, from a simple approval from a recognized agency for a specific use.
These units do not appear to have this specific approval.

I would go further and suggest that those 500 people who own one of these should be properly warned to check their insurance coverage.

Visiting Guest

05-28-05, 02:50 PM   #6  
bobcat007
thanks for information

I found the site while searching for "outside wood furnace" I am just looking for a way to heat my house........thanks for your time writing to me and I will examine this more.
At least I don't have to decide about it for a while anyway it is like 84 here today!

Bobcat007

TX

05-31-05, 04:50 PM   #7  
Take a look at another option................

http://www.centralboiler.com/home.html

Super Moderator

CANADA

05-31-05, 06:13 PM   #8  
Wood fired boilers are fairly popular around here.
What makes them attractive is the fact that they can be installed far enough away from buildings to not be of too much concern to insurance companies.

These units are suited to larger homes or for heating a home and workshop.
You also need a steady supply of inexpensive wood.

Visiting Guest

06-06-05, 01:50 PM   #9  
bobcat007
thanks!

looked at the central boiler.......too much money... would take me too long to get any payback. Looking for something cheaper! I may take a trip this summer.......go by and see the little house ... I can afford it......it is like 88 here today..

bobcat007

11-22-08, 12:31 PM   #10  
I own one!!!!

I came across this thread and had to reply to lil house heater! I've owned one for 2years and love it! I think the person replying earlier may be with a different company--- I really do love mine --- and has been the best improvement to my home and for my family... During our ice storm 2 years ago i ran it off a 300 watt power inverter and was able to keep my family warm with no worries-with burning less wood than my fireplace--which hasnt had a stick of wood in it since the outside stove has been installed--I am a woodworker and getting one for the shop -- My insurance co. has been out to inspect and had no problem with insuring my 1200ft mobile home..it does what they say!! it is ul listed and tested..$1500.00 I was worried it was to good to be true--after the first nite I realized that it was a good purchase--I dont worry about house fires like i did wwhen i lit the fireplace...anyway hope my reply hasnt been said too late...

Search this Thread