Heat loss through "wall" of glass

Old 09-28-05, 08:24 PM
devnancy
Visiting Guest

I live in a converted barn, and have stationary glass (regular 1/8" window glass)on both the S.E. and N.W. sides that are approximately 24 feet long by 6 feet high. I think the people who renovated the barn probably had some sort of solar heating in mind as these windows slant in somewhat, and while they provide a great view they loose a lot of heat in the winter. If the sun is shining it will heat the room some, but after sundown or on cloudy days they are really cold and lose a lot of heat. Any suggestions on how to keep the cold out, or use the heat that they can provide?

Old 10-14-05, 07:10 PM
O
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
heat sink

I shudder to think how badly those windows have to be leaking heat to the outside...I also suspect that in the dead of summer, they can become somewhat unbearable as well...

You mention single glaze windows. I am assuming that these are not production windows but are actually just sheets of glass that were glazed in place in the openings? If so, then your best bet would be to remove those sheets of glass and replace them with Insulating Glass Units or IGU's.

An IGU is the dual or triple pane glass part of a modern window. You can buy IGU's without the rest of the window parts, and while not frighteningly expensive, they ain't cheap either...But, if you decide to go this route, then you want to make sure that the new IGU's have a lowE coating between the lites.

I don't know how you heat your home, or what your heating bill is like, but ordinarily I advise people not to expect a short term payback in energy savings when buying replacement windows because you generally won't see it. But, in your case (again, depending on how you heat your home), you might actually realize a relatively short-term payback because of the HUGE energy losses you are currently experiencing, plus the fact that replacing just the glass will be substantially cheaper than replacing entire windows...again, assuming that what you have is simply glass fixed in a frame.

Good luck and feel free to write back any questions you might have...if any.

Old 10-14-05, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

You have a tremendous radiant heat loss in the evening.

The best and cheapest way to cut it is by using and opaque material. Drapes or blinds would be good. Insulated drapes would be best.

Perhaps the people that renovated the barn may have taken the drapes (or whatever) with them or never got around to installing the.

Many solar heated home have motorized drapes (some on timers).

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: