Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New here! And questions...

Visiting Guest

09-30-05, 08:13 AM   #1  
mlwc
New here! And questions...

Hi there--
I came across this site and am really excited about finding out some information about insulating my apartment as much as possible before the winter...

I currently rent the upstairs unit of a duplex house, which is over 90 years old. As such, the windows, while functional, are not modernized. When it's windy in the summer, they rattle and such. Now that the winter is coming again, I really need to do something to help control my heating costs--they were exhorbitant last year (partly bcz I moved in December and didn't have much time to do anything about it).

The attic sits above my unit and I do have access to it. One half is finished and I use it for storage. The other half is unfinished and frankly, I don't know how well it's insulated at all.

The floors are nice hardwood (original!) and I have some area rugs, but they are not completely covered.

Since I rent this unit, I probably don't have a lot of say about stuff to 'do' to make the heating bill better. However, if there are some inexpensive things, I might be able to talk to my landlord about them. (esp regarding the attic)

Alternatively, I have to do something about the windows--any suggestions about sealing (films??), drapes or curtains? What about the floor? (theoretically the first floor apartment should lend some heat to them, is that true?)

Thanks for any feedback you can give me--I've never owned a home and only recently have become familiar with improvement techniques--
-mlwc

Sponsored Links

09-30-05, 03:55 PM   #2  
Lots of minor things you can do to help cut down fuel costs...

"roll" insulation is cheap and easy to install in that attic... If the place is 90years old... you can pretty much bet it is underinsulated by today's standards.

Pick a windy day... and buy/borrow a few cigarettes. Hold a lit cig. around the windows/doors to see if the smoke moves due to air infiltration.... oh yeah, check the electrical outlets too (you can buy thin foam insulators to go under the cover plates)... check where plumbing pipes go into and out of walls.. Once you identify some of the problem areas... you can work with your landlord to caulk/seal those areas.

Curtains... thick/heavy curtains will certainly help cut down on heat loss (those thin gossamer ones your wife likes won't help a bit )

Search this Thread