Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Best/cheapest way to attach plastic sheeting around outside windows?

Visiting Guest

10-17-05, 04:15 PM   #1  
juddev
Best/cheapest way to attach plastic sheeting around outside windows?

Since the price of nat gas is going up so much I thought that using 6 mil plastic sheeting to cover my outside windows would save me some money this winter. What I need to know is A good way to attach the plastic around the windows. Furring strips? Double sided tape? plastic Snap lock molding (rather expensive) I am really looking for some way that everything could be reused every winter.
Thanks

I have been looking locally and I found this (expensive way to go though)
Snap Lock Molding Strip
W. J. Dennis
An adhesive backed rigid plastic molding strip with a snap-in/snap-out insert. Installs easily on windows and doors when pressed into place. For exterior application use of brad nails are recommended. Can be used with flexible window material or acrylic glazing (plexiglass). Paintable. 60" length.

Last edited by juddev; 10-17-05 at 04:44 PM.

Sponsored Links

10-20-05, 08:50 AM   #2  
plastic on windows

are u wanting to apply the plastic on the interior or the exterior of your home? my past exp. i used one of the window film kits from ace hardware and i applied it on the exterior of a window that had metal flashing (not wood) exterior trim. when i removed it the next spring the adhesive of the 2 sided tape stayed on the flashing and was a bear to remove it. if i had it to do again ( we just got new windows in aug in prep. of higher heating costs) i would try it on the interior. this way the plastic is out of the wind and elements and should allow you to use some sort of a lo-tac or painters tape on the trim around the window, some tapes will pull finishes off of wood or etc. and some require cleaners that would also harm finishes, i think the painters tape on the inside would be way to go.

Visiting Guest

10-20-05, 09:24 AM   #3  
juddev
I need to put the plastic on the outside; I just thought someone must have come up with a good way to attach the plastic film for annual use.
I also have alum flashing around all my windows.

Search this Thread