Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ice formation on windows

Visiting Guest

12-07-05, 07:37 AM   #1  
crjav8er
Ice formation on windows

I live in a very dry climate, so I don't think humidity is the problem. The temperatures have been very cold and condensation is forming on the inside of the windows at the bottom of the metal frames. The condensation then freezes. The windows are double pane but there are air leaks that I can't seem to find. I have installed some foam weatherstripping but the room is still drafty with frozen condensation. I have read about sealing the window from the inside with plastic. Do you seal it completely over and tape it down? Also I have a two year old so is plastic a good idea to have?

I know the windows are crappy but can't afford to replace them yet.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

12-07-05, 07:49 AM   #2  
Had the same problem on the windows in my bedroom growing up. My dad used to staple plastic on the outside of the windows every winter. Helped, but I couldn't really see through it. 3M makes a plastic that goes inside, like you mentioned. Stays in place with double sided tape and then you shrink it with a hair dryer until it's smooth and you'll then be able to see through it just fine. If you install it correctly, I can't see a reason why having a two year old around it would be a problem.

Visiting Guest

12-07-05, 09:45 AM   #3  
crjav8er
Thanks, do you install it on the window frame, or on the wall surrounding the frame? I have recessed windows.

Group Moderator

WI

12-07-05, 11:33 AM   #4  
We always put the tape on the outside of the trim where it was perpendicular to the wall and then wrapped the plastic around the trim. I am guessing that in order to put it over the entire opening you might have to put the tape on painted wall, I would check the box or call 3M before trying that (tape pulling paint off the wall wouldn't be good).

CANADA

12-17-05, 06:54 PM   #5  
If possible, it's best to seal the whole window but that means you won't be able to open the window until winter's over. I did that for the north window in my home office and it has worked very, very well. Even reduces noise from the street.

The tape requires a nice flat surface at least a half-inch wide. Often that's not available. Don't bother unless you have a half-inch. While you can apply the tape to a narrower area, you won't get good adhesion and it will pull loose when you use the hair dryer to tighten the plastic. My bedroom windows were getting condensation at the bottom and there was not enough room on the side of the frame to properly secure the tape. I then put the tape only on the frames right around the glass, sealing each pane with plastic. Solved the problem.

The plastic works best if there's an air space between it and the glass. The air acts as an insulator.

Search this Thread