Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is CLosing Vents OK?

NC

12-19-05, 10:22 AM   #1  
Is CLosing Vents OK?

I close off some heating vents in a bonus room above our garage.

Someone else I know with a gas furnace was told it was not productive to close vents off in unused rooms; that it interferes with the efficiency of the unit and the results/problems can be seen over time?

Is it an energy savings or a bad idea?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

12-19-05, 03:13 PM   #2  
It's usually ok to close a couple of vents, but it is possible to close too many. Closing returns is generally a bad idea.

01-17-06, 09:10 PM   #3  
Re:Is CLosing Vents OK?

Posted By: foreverkeeps I close off some heating vents in a bonus room above our garage.

Someone else I know with a gas furnace was told it was not productive to close vents off in unused rooms; that it interferes with the efficiency of the unit and the results/problems can be seen over time?

Is it an energy savings or a bad idea?
The Vents/Registers merely direct the airflow and do restrict to a point. However the damper for that feed from main trunk would have to be closed in order to shut off it off.

And YES it does effect the efficiency of the system. As most systems are designed to deliver to particular CFM of air per register. If you manually change that, it can throw the system out of balance. You may end up being highly uncomfortable in other rooms.

Search this Thread