heat loss?

Old 01-15-06, 06:38 AM
heat loss?

we have [for lack of better word] can lights thru out our home. every time i replace the bulb i can feel a cold draft. am i loosing alot of heat thru these fixtures? if so, what are my options? these are the recessed type with flood style bulbs. can i wrap the tops with insulation? they seem to get pretty warm from the bulbs when they are on and i dont like the idea of covering them because of the heat.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-06, 01:51 PM
IC Units

Unless the recessed fixtures are specifically rated as "IC" and made for "Insulation Contact", you cannot place insulation against them. You need to keep insulation well away from them.

What you can do, however is construct an air tight box from 1/2" drywall placed over the fixture providing at least a 3" space from the insulation from the fixture and keep at least a 1/2" from combustible materials.

There are also housings made specifically for these purposes.

Old 01-17-06, 08:48 PM
Heat Loss?

[QUOTE]we have [for lack of better word] can lights thru out our home. every time i replace the bulb i can feel a cold draft. am i loosing alot of heat thru these fixtures? these are the recessed type with flood style bulbs. QUOTE]

You betcha... just think of them as miniture chimneys not only do they allow the passage of air/ which you recognize as a cold draft. Heat rises along with heat generated from the bulb itself.

can i wrap the tops with insulation? they seem to get pretty warm from the bulbs when they are on and i dont like the idea of covering them because of the heat.[/
I wouldn't advise it ,it could case a fire. There are options but I wouldn't recommend as a DIY project.

Old 01-18-06, 06:06 AM
i now know they are the i.c. type. most of them have the blown in insulation covering them to some degree. can i get more and put it on thicker or get roll insulation and wrap them? they seem to be hot on the inside when i change a bulb, but i went up and felt the top side with the light on and they were only warm.

Old 01-19-06, 10:37 AM
Halo makes air-tite IC rated recessed lighing fixtures. Home Depot and Lowes carries them.

Old 01-19-06, 11:24 AM
thanks for the help.