Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Shop Insulation

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-01-06, 06:37 PM   #1  
Shop Insulation

OK, guys, I'm just a nail driver, so help me out on this one. I have a 24x24 steel trussed shop, with the rib materials 2x4 running laterally on the walls and 2x6 along the roof for rafters across the steel trusses. Would I be better off using kraft faced R19 batts with wire supports, and the kraft faced R13 in the walls, or the icynene (sp) I have heard you talk about, that is sprayed directly on the metal roof and walls? Help me out here with some opinions.
Oh yeah, it is open raftered, just vertical walls and a 3:12 pitch metal roof.

Sponsored Links

MI

05-04-06, 12:25 PM   #2  
is the roof metal? How is it in the rain? The spray application on pole building is pretty sweet. more expensive but I think worth it.

05-04-06, 12:38 PM   #3  
Posted By: RYANINMICHIGAN is the roof metal? How is it in the rain? The spray application on pole building is pretty sweet. more expensive but I think worth it.
Not to mention if your me I will go far and wide to aviod fiberglass insulation. Stuff tears me up. Have someone spray it on? you bet! Otherwise your R rating sounds well, sound. I might want to run a few staples along with the wires though. They are generally used to hold it in place long enough to get your ceiling in. I don;t know that I would trust them permanent.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-04-06, 03:42 PM   #4  
Ryan, yes the roof is metal, and other than being noisy in a good rain (love working in the rain), it is solid, only a couple of years old.
BuildPro, I will probably install a wire grid across the joists under the insulation if I poke up fiberglas (or talk someone else into doing it). I have, on very low crawlspace additions, installed chicken wire on the bottom of the joists and just dropped kraft faced insulation in the void prior to laying down the Advantek. That shows you how much I hate the stuff. I'm itching just writing this, so I'm off to another forum. Thanks guys, I will probably price the spray stuff and wind up with glas if the price is too steep.

Search this Thread