installing pile weatherstripping

Old 06-01-06, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing pile weatherstripping

I have existing aluminum frame windows with T slot pile weatherstripping. The sun and weather have done their job in destroying the plastic backing on the material, and now it is just plain rotted and falling out. I found a place online to buy new stripping but......If I have a .12 kerf, and a .187 T shape to push into it, how do I do it? I haven't purchased the material yet, so, I may possibly be able to push it in, but I could be wrong. Anyone ever done this before?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-06, 07:05 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The pile is put into the groove before the window is assembled. It is pretty difficult, if not impossible, to push it into an assembled window.

Old 06-08-06, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What does a person do when the existing stuff sun rots and falls out? I am thinking of drilling a small hole in the corner where two grooves come together, large enough for the T portion of the T shaped material to enter, and from there feed it down the groove in the window until it stops. I think it will work. I'll let all who care know how it goes.

Old 06-09-06, 04:35 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You actually reminded me of a method I have used in the past. I used a dremel tool with a fiberglass reinforced wheel and removed about 3/8" of the slot in the corner and feed in from there. The drill might work also.