Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Window film

06-07-06, 01:25 PM   #1  
Window film

Question: Years ago, you could buy a plastic or cellophane window film that covered the entire exterior window. It was mostly used in the winter to keep out the Cold wind. Early years it was put in place with a paper tape that was nailed all the way around the window. Later years it was sucked into place by using a hairp-dryer.
Does anyone know if this material is still around and where it could be bought?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-22-06, 05:35 PM   #2  
Not sure if the money and time spent on applying this plastic is worth it. It gives minimal insulation value, although it does deaden the air between it and the existing window panes. Thermopane windows would not benefit greatly from this method. If you have single pane windows, in opposition to replacing the windows, you could install matching storm windows with proper sealing.

WA

09-03-06, 09:43 PM   #3  
I saw them at lowes just the other day, I think it was around $5-6 bucks so I know that they are still around (my wife just said she saw them at Walmart). Also I would have to disagree when I was a kid growing up we would put those on the window and to me the effects were noticable of course we had single plane windows.

09-18-06, 01:13 PM   #4  
Deer3006...

I live in an apartment which was built in the mid sixties. The windows are all pretty crappy, single pane and the rubber seal/caulk where each glass pane meets the metal frames has gaps in places. We put up the window film as we were freezing our butts off when trying to watch TV last fall. The film helped a ton to get rid of the cold drafts that found their way in, and as a temporary solution the film sure helped.

The film is a band-aid fix for a surgery type problem. Like chandler said, it would be better to install storm windows, but if money is an issue or you live in a rental like me (saying that is a little like cussing isn't it? LOL) try the plastic out. It is cheap and you will get some benefit.

-Jay

MN

09-18-06, 02:22 PM   #5  
Window film

Winter is coming - HD just set out their displays of the 3M film at several places in the store including near the check out.

It is a band-aid, but it is temporary (thankfully).

I am in a townhouse and have a problem trying to replace several north facing windows (oversize sliders) and use it in the winter to reduce drafts and maybe save some energy. It does a good job at that. Anything on the exterior would be fruitless to try.

I doubt if I would save enough money (maximum gas bill less the $100/mo. in MN) to justify the cost, but them comfort in a well used area is worth the expense.

Dick

NJ

09-19-06, 10:04 AM   #6  
I've used window film on a 1960's Andersen 8ft slider in my eat in kitchen, it made an noticible difference in the comfort of that room. I have since replaced that slider with a new one.

Search this Thread