Wrapping Heat Ducts in the basement?

Old 10-17-06, 02:04 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wrapping Heat Ducts in the basement?

I'm getting some things in order for the upcoming colder weather and i wanted to hear what the pros thought about wrapping the heat ducts (oil, forced air) that go along the unfinished basement ceiling into the first floor. some mornings in the winter if i go down to get something from the basement before leaving for work, i notice that the heat is actually making the basement warmer than the first floor and a good deal of that is via the ducts which are basically exposed round and rectangular sheet steel (i think) tubes coming from the furnace and between joists in the open (no drywall or drop-ceiling) ceiling

what is a good/inexpensive wrap method or product that i could use to wrap all this conductive, heat losing duct material that's warming the basement as much as the rest of the house?

thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-06, 06:19 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
3in Duct wrap!

Old 10-17-06, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ducts

I'm no pro, but I'm thinking of doing this as well. I know home depot sells some stuff for duct wraps but I dont think it has much R value (insulation rating) its basically thin rol of fiberglass with what looks like aluminum foil material on both sides.
I know that before you do that, you should make sure your ducts are sealed well with mastic.
I wonder if you could just put fiberglass around it or if it could not handle the heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: