interior insulation

Old 11-15-06, 05:44 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
interior insulation

I have an old house, double brick outside and plaster walls inside, I am planning on drywalling over the plaster. I would like to insulate first. I have pink foam board. My question is... the foam boards are 1/2 inch, I want to double up and drywall over it. What would be the proper way to do this. Can the foam board be put right on the plaster walls? Will this cause a moisture problem down the road and cause moisture damage? Any help is appreciated!

Old 11-16-06, 03:36 PM
J
Depends on your climate, but using EPS foamboard will allow moisture to pass. If you have to wall opened up, why not stud it out and really insulate it, it will pay for itself in a short time in energy savings and comfort.

Old 11-19-06, 07:06 AM
S
foam board over plaster

The wall is not opened up. I was going to put the foam board over the plaster and then drywall over that. I need to know what the best way to do it is. I also live in Pennsylvania.

Thanks

Old 11-20-06, 09:06 AM
S
As messy as it sounds, I'd pull the plaster and bring it down to the studs. Then insulate it with batts, vapor barrier and put up the rock.

If you put foam board and then rock over it, how do you plan on hitting the studs with drywall screws ? You'll be going through an inch for the new material and the plaster is probably thicker than 1/2 inch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: