Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Closing gap in drywall to crawlspace

PA

01-20-07, 09:51 AM   #1  
Closing gap in drywall to crawlspace

Hi,

We have a crawlspace under part of our basement, which extends to the garage at one end.

I recently discovered that the drywall in the garage on the wall facing the crawlspace has about a 1/4" gap at the bottom - leaving full length "gap" that allows cold air to draft right into the crawlspace.

So I want to insulate this spot, but I wanted to first "close off" this gap - I doubt that spackling it all the way across is a good idea, is it? Easiest would be putting some molding on the garage side all the way across, to close the gap, then maybe use foam insulation on the inside? Is there a better way to do this?

Hopefully I explained the situation adequately.

Thanks,

-Jim

Sponsored Links

01-20-07, 03:52 PM   #2  
Same issue on my current home that I just bought.. I'm finding air leaks all over the place (85 yr old stone house). I'm using can after can of foam sealant with great results... and using trim work to hide the gaps....

OH

01-20-07, 04:06 PM   #3  
A 1/4" gap can be caulked.

CAL

01-20-07, 10:11 PM   #4  
If you have a small water spill, you really don't want the bottom of a drywall sheet wicking up all the moisture. Cover it with baseboard if you don't like it's look. It isn't insulating so I wouldn't caulk the bottom - it would be a waste IMHO.

PA

01-21-07, 09:18 AM   #5  
Thanks for the ideas - I'll probably use some trim to close the gap on the outside, then insulate from the inside somehow - maybe the foam cans or caulked styrofoam insulation.

-Jim

Search this Thread