Eliminating a floor register

Old 01-29-07, 03:24 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Eliminating a floor register

Just finished adding a room to our existing home. Right in front of the doorway fromt he existing house to the new room is a floor register. I would like to remove it, cover and install a piece of carpet to match the balance of the room.

What's the best way to accomplish this? Should I go into the crawlspace & remove the actual floor register attached to the floor? What do I use to block that duct? How should I put a 'floor' in where the hole from the register now is? Finally, is there a way to put in the carpet in this small spot and 'blend' it with the rest of the room's carpet?

Thanks.

Old 01-30-07, 05:55 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't eliminate the register

I would not eliminate the register. It was there to heat a part of your old section of house that it still there.

You should go into the crawl space, remove the duct work and register, block the hole in the trunk line with a piece of sheet metal and foil tape and move the whole assembly over one, maybe two joist bays. This will move the register out of the doorway, yet still provide heat and cooling to this area of the house.

To block the old register hole, you can put a piece of 2x8 on the flat to the underside of the subfloor so the register hole is covered. Use construction adhesive and nail the 2X8 in place by nailing through the floor joists on each side into the 2X8. Then use the cutout from the new register location to patch in the old floor register. Glue and screw in this subfloor patch to the 2X8.

As far as the carpet blending, this depends on the pattern in the carpet and how much wear this area experienced as compared to the patch you are installing. Carpet seam tape should hold the patch in place.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: