Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Finding air leaks in home - I'm freezing

CT

02-15-07, 08:28 PM   #1  
Finding air leaks in home - I'm freezing

Is there an effective way to find the trouble spots in a home as far as cold air seeping in. There are places in my house that always feel colder than others and I've found and sealed a few gaps and cracks around windows, patio doors, etc. I found them the old fashioned way by placing the palm of my hand nearby to feel for cold air coming in. Is there some equipment or an easier/quicker way to find the air leaks - some kind of thermo sensing equipment I can rent or something??

Thanks!
Gene

Sponsored Links

02-16-07, 07:43 AM   #2  
Posted By: zoneout Is there an effective way to find the trouble spots in a home as far as cold air seeping in. There are places in my house that always feel colder than others and I've found and sealed a few gaps and cracks around windows, patio doors, etc. I found them the old fashioned way by placing the palm of my hand nearby to feel for cold air coming in. Is there some equipment or an easier/quicker way to find the air leaks - some kind of thermo sensing equipment I can rent or something??

Thanks!
Gene
You could hire a consultant to do a blower door test on your home and use a thermographic camera.

A cheap way to DIY a similar test is to turn off your furnace. Turn on all fans that exhaust outdoors (bath fans, stove vents) to de-pressurize your house. The walk around with an incense stick and hold it close to areas that you suspect may be leaking air in.

VA

02-16-07, 10:56 AM   #3  
A thermo imaging camera is the best way to do this.

PA

02-19-07, 10:57 AM   #4  
First make sure that you do not have furniture too close to any heating registers. Then an area you should check is above and below the baseboards. You will have air leaks there if no insulation was installed or installed incorrectly.
I had an air leak in the main bedroom that was twice that of the other two. The exterior facing walls were not insulated. So I took the drywall down and installed rigid foamboard, new drywall and then used liquid foam to fill any gap between the bottom of the new construction and the subfloor.
If you do not know if you have insulation, pull away part of the baseboard.

Another thing to check is sometimes a cheap or poorly installed wholehouse furnace will suck too much air from loose or poorly fitted ductwork at the intake side. This takes more air from the surrounding area the it should, instead of pulling it down from all your returns. Does your upstairs basement door slam shut on its own? Thats an indication of loose connections on the intake side. The end result is insufficient heat to the coldest rooms.

Search this Thread