Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Energy Usage, Conservation and Weather Stripping
Reload this Page > Winter-proofing old windows with mini-blinds - suggestions?

Winter-proofing old windows with mini-blinds - suggestions?

Old 11-10-07, 09:37 AM
Winter-proofing old windows with mini-blinds - suggestions?

Hi all,

We live in a rental, in an old brownstone in a historic district of NYC. Not having rich landlords, they can't afford to upgrade the front windows, so we have no storm windows there. Last year we covered the windows with plastic (the commercially-available stuff that you tape up and shrink with a hair dryer), but the problem is that there are mini-blinds.

If you cover the window completely, you lose control of the blinds, and you make a choice - lose privacy or lose sunlight? We took off the blinds, put the tape on the inside of the window frame instead of the outside, and put the blinds back up, but that didn't work well - the plastic ripped easily while installing the blinds, the tape came lose easily, and by mid-winter it was a mess.

Does anyone have any innovative suggestions on a good way to handle this? I will use the plastic again but I'm not married to it.

Thanks,
- Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-07, 09:50 AM
Why not install insulated draperies. If you are not allowed to remove the blinds, simply raise them all the way up and out of the way of plastic. Plastic is important for preventing heat loss where there are no storm windows.

Old 11-10-07, 11:02 AM
Hi twelvepole,

Thanks for the suggestion. We do have draperies in the bedroom and I expect that to help a lot. And we are allowed to remove the blinds if we like. However, removing the blinds and raising them up all the way present the same issue - we lose our privacy from people on the street, and we have the light of the streetlamps coming through our windows all winter.

What I'm looking for is either an alternative to the plastic, or a way of using the plastic, that will insulate our windows and leave us the ability to raise/lower/control our blinds.

Thanks,
- Steve

Old 11-10-07, 11:06 AM
Removing blinds and installing sheer curtains will offer daytime privacy and eliminate problems with the plastic. At night the draperies can be closed. The insulated backing will help prevent heat loss.

Old 11-10-07, 11:13 AM
Hi again,

Thanks! That's definitely a suggestion I will consider, but buying drapes for all of the windows might be more expensive than I am looking for right now.

Thanks,
- Steve

Old 11-10-07, 11:18 AM
J. C. Penneys is having a sale:

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/categor...&cmCatID=25437

Search this Thread